AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo TX-SR604, PS3, and a Panasonic 65VT60. I would like to watch 3D blurays but I don't think that the Onkyo 604 will pass 3D through its hdmi. Right now I have an hdmi from the PS3 to the Onkyo and then from the Onkyo to the tv. The Onkyo is connected to my 5 speakers and sub. I know the PS3 can output 3D but can the Onkyo pass it through its hdmi to the tv? I think it is only hdmi 1.1. If not, what are my options?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1514348/onkyo-tx-sr604-and-3d-question#post_24271224

No rather you must connect the video to the TV and audio to the 604.

PS3 (HDMI) ----> TV

PS3 (optical) ---> 604

Will I need to make any setup changes to make sure everything works correctly? Will the optical pass through LPCM? What about an HDMI splitter? Would that cause any picture/sound degredation?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1514348/onkyo-tx-sr604-and-3d-question#post_24271224

No rather you must connect the video to the TV and audio to the 604.

PS3 (HDMI) ----> TV

PS3 (optical) ---> 604

I just learned that the HDMI splitter will not work. It drops down to the lowest spec of all connected devices. Since tv is only stereo and receiver is only 2D thoses would be passed.

The setup you have above is not ideal since the optical cable will only pass DTS 5.1, not LPCM audio. Also, I will have to change the settings on the PS3 for audio output and I think on the receiver for its audio input. Kind of a pain. I guess it is not that big of a deal since it is a cheap solution for the minimal times I will actually play a 3D bluray. Only other option would be to get a new receiver which would cost much more and I would have to go through the whole set up process again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts