AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on the fence of upgrading my SR-605 to get me better audio options and some HDMI 1.4a compatibility. The SR-608 or NR-708 are the obviously choices to me, simply because I know ONKYO and have never owned anything else... which is where I'm hoping for a little feedback.

For example, the thing that is most attractive to me from the 608/708 receivers is having the two sub outs and the ability to convert the rear surrounds into front high's. I currently have a sound stage that does not permit me to have rears as the couch is flush to the wall, being able to have those unused speakers up as front-high's would be awesome. Not to mention the richness (at least in my mind) added by being able to have a second sub on the opposite side of the living room so it doesn't seem like I can "hide" from my bass when I'm forced to sit on the far-side of the couch. I currently compensate for that by bumping up the loudness a couple notches but I'll soon have a newborn in the house again and I'd rather have riches lows as lower levels, if that makes any sense.

As for the HDMI and other features, I would like to have HDMI 1.4a for high-speed compability with 3D pass-through in case I end up hooking this up to a 3D-ready LCD but so long as it has three inputs, I'm good. I've got no real use for six of them unless I can sell off a couple of my monoprice switches, lol.

I just don't know if ONKYO is the best dollar value or if I could find something suitable in a high-price brand name without completely breaking the bank. The only reason, to be honest, that I'm considering *not* buying another ONKYO is because of the little things...

For example, I think I would be driven mad if I couldn't find the source of and prevent the random "clicking sound" i read about in reviews on just about every site I visit regarding the SR-608. Also, having had a my HDMI repaired on the SR-605 I've learned just how skittish their daughter boards can be, I was a little bit disappointed to learn that the newer revisions of this product has not included anything to make them more sturdy/robust.

And finally, I'm also a little concerned on how precise the the configurations have to be in order to get decent, enjoyable/working sound. I'm no audiophile and barely understand the fundamentals so I doubt I could get it right should it start to play cat & mouse with me.

That being said, I would rather blow my budget on new speakers instead of a more expensive receiver however, if a higher quality receiver is only a couple hundred bucks different, it's worth my consideration.

Please Advise...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The other, more pragmatic solution would be to buy nothing now and sit on my thumbs until Superbowl Season when everything will be discounted again but there's no fun in that. And with 3D around the corner, I've already decided to upgrade everything else to 1.4a compliance - not including my projector (GT700) which is another story altogether.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts