AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For audio set up between a PS3 and Onkyo TX-SR606 do I only need an HDMI cable, or a digital optical cable too? I have both hooked up, but is it necessary?

When I switch the audio output setting on the PS3 to digital optical out, I get no audio. Is this because the HDMI cable is hooked up too? I've read a few posts and I'm confused about how to get the best audio.

Also, I'm watching the new Rambo BD (with 7.1 DTS HD Audio). Should the receiver say DTS HD Audio anywhere?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1) You only need the HDMI cable running from your PS3 to the 606. Get rid of the optical.

2) In your DVD audio options on the PS3, set the audio output to Linear PCM. The PS3 decodes the lossless audio codecs internally and sends them out as PCM. This means that when you're watching a blu-ray disc, you will NOT see "DTS HD" or "Dolby True HD" appear on your receiver; however, you ARE still listening to the lossless audio tracks. If you want your receiver to do the decoding (and consequently display "DTS HD" or "Dolby True HD"), you need a blu-ray player capable of sending lossless audio output via bitstream.

Make sense?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the advice. Definitely makes sense. Some many people have different views/advice, that is becomes confusing. I though the optical cable was useless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts