AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding the Onkyo TX-SR606, or really for any other receiver for that matter. I would like to know if this setup is possible. The receiver I am looking at has 4 HDMI inputs and 2 component inputs.

Cable Box - HDMI 1

HD DVD Player - HDMI 2

Blu Ray Player - HDMI 3

Playstation 3 - HDMI 4

Xbox 360 - Component 1

Nintendo Wii - Component 2

Am I able to have all these devices connected at the same time as I mentioned above? And if so, how would I select each of the devices from the input selector. From what I can tell, HDMI 1 and 2 are the same input as Component 1 and 2.. Is this correct? Is it possible for me to have all the devices I listed above to be connected at the same time?

It seems that on most receivers the HDMI and Component are labelled as the same input.

Is this set up possible? If it is, how i would be able to change the input to select each device. If anyone knows how to do this with the TX-SR606 that would be awesome... If you need further information, please let me know. thanks in advance for your time.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Generally you're going to need a receiver with that many actual input groups, which the 606 does not have. Otherwise, you will have to go into the receiver's setup menu and reconfigure a given input from HDMI to component video in order to switch between them -- and the same for audio. Big hassle.

And external switcher may be a better option.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks rdclark...

How many selectable inputs does this receiver actually have?

Are there any receivers around the same price level that have more input groups as rdclark mentioned I would need? Ideally, I would like 3 HDMI and 3 Component...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Sell your Blu-Ray player (why do you have one if you have a PS3??) and purchase an Onkyo TX-SR805. You can buy them for around $500 through ClubOnkyo.com

It has 3 HDMI in and 3 component in.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
On further investigation, it turns out the 606 does indeed have a group available for each of the 6 HD AV inputs. But there are only two component ins, plus 4 HDMI.

That should work with the layout you listed in your first post.

Sorry about the misinformation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh really? Awesome! If it can do each of those that is awesome... I have heard good things about it...

What are each of the inputs that will be used called?

TV/SAT = Cable Box = HDMI 1

DVD = HD DVD Player = HDMI 2

??? = Blu Ray Player = HDMI 3

Game = PS3 = HDMI 4

??? = Xbox 360 = Component 1

??? = Wii - Component 2

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck and something that will not be obsolete in 2 months...

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I believe you can choose which input label goes with which physical input. You can't create your own labels like you can with the higher-end Onkyos.

You will end up with some unintuitive associations, such as a game console selected with the CD input or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts