AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an onkyo TX-SR608. My tv is KDL-46XBR4 Sony (3 years old). I also have a PS3. My connection setup is as follows


connect HDMI out from PS3 and connect to HDMI IN on Receiver

connect HDMI out from receiver and connect to HDMI IN on TV


I am new to receiver setup so bare with some basic questions. I dont see that my TV has Audio return channel nor HDMI 1.4. so Should I have to absolutely connect Optical out from tv to receiver to get audio through the speakers connected to Receiver ?


Secondly, if i do the above, Will I still get audio from PS3 through receiver or Do I have to do any setting changes on PS3 ?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,394 Posts
Hi aim-high, you are correct that KDL-46XBR4 does not support ARC (Audio Return Channel).


With the above PS3 setup the receiver will produce audio because HDMI carries both video and audio. Which PS3 does you have fat or slim?


Use optical cable from tv to receiver only for audio if you have basic cable (from wall outlet) or using an antenna for OTA channels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi


Thanks for your reply. I have fat ps3.

Also, I thought TX-SR608 is a full hdmi receiver but not a pass through receiver. am i correct in that ? When I look into the setup guide for tx-sr 608, there is an option called hdmi through so I am little confused on what it does and whether should I use that ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi


Thanks. So could you confirm this setup


Cable Box connected to Receiver via HDMI

PS3 connected to Receiver via HDMI

PC connected to Receiver via HDMI

Receiver to TV connected via HDMI

Optical out from TV is connected to Onkyo receiver -- this is the only optical out I need in my setup , correct ?


Also, there is an option called HDMI Audio out on the receiver. Some say in forums that I should set that as Off, because if I set it as ON, the receiver will only send Stereo to TV as TV cannot process 5.1 or 7.1 . So should I set it as Yes or No ?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim-high
Hi


Thanks. So could you confirm this setup


Optical out from TV is connected to Onkyo receiver -- this is the only optical out I need in my setup , correct ?


Thanks
You do not need an optical cable from tv to receiver.

Quote:
Also, there is an option called HDMI Audio out on the receiver.
If this is set to yes, it will mute the speakers and audio will only output from the tv speaker.


Owners turn this on with HDMI Control to watch a HDMI source while the receiver is off (Standby mode).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm. Now i am confused about only one thing.

Since my sony tv does not have audio return channel, I thought I should connect optical out from tv to my receiver to hear sound through the speakers connected to my receiver.

is that not true ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim-high
hmm. Now i am confused about only one thing.

Since my sony tv does not have audio return channel, I thought I should connect optical out from tv to my receiver to hear sound through the speakers connected to my receiver.

is that not true ?
Does the tv have internet apps like netflix, vudu, etc...?


Whats being played on the tv that you want to listen from your receiver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All I want to hear from my tv is the audio from my cable. There is no internet apps on tv.

As I had mentioned before, I am connecting hdmi out from cable to hdmi In on the receiver.


given this setup, are you saying I dont need any optical cable from tv to receiver for audio to be heard on receiver ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Hi All,


I was trying to connect my TV to the Onkyo for sound.

I have a Panasonic Viera plasma TV and connected HDMI in to the TV and HDMI out in the receiver but I get no sound. I turned HDMI control "on" in the setup and it still doesn't work. Do I need specific HDMI cables or something? I tried using the HDMI cables i use for my PS3. or do I need extra cables because my tv does not support ARC? any help appreciated..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ninc /forum/post/19579548


Hi All,


I was trying to connect my TV to the Onkyo for sound.

I have a Panasonic Viera plasma TV and connected HDMI in to the TV and HDMI out in the receiver but I get no sound. I turned HDMI control "on" in the setup and it still doesn't work. Do I need specific HDMI cables or something? I tried using the HDMI cables i use for my PS3. or do I need extra cables because my tv does not support ARC? any help appreciated..

Hi s7ninc, what model Panasonic is it?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top