AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the 674 hooked up yesterday and the video works and has a good picture, but

1. when changing channels it's terribly slow to refresh the picture.

2. When fast forwarding the dvr the screen goes blank so I can't see when the commercials are done and the show is back on.

Anyone else experience this? I hope this isn't normal.

I'm using...

Onkyo TX-SR674

Motorola DCT6412 Phase III

JVC HD-52G786

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have the 674 and the Moto 6412 III, (and a Sony XBR) and I don't have those issues. The channels change at normal speeds, even between SD and HD channels. And I can see what I am skipping during FF and RW commands. I use component cables between the moto and 674. I can't recall if there are any settings on the moto box to help with this or not This doesn't sound normal.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Without remembering for sure, I think I have it set to preserve 4:3, no stretching. Perhaps try a component cable to see if it makes a difference. Try the other HDMI input. Try a different HDMI cable. Try to eliminate things that you know are working. My firmware is 12.31 (sadly, for other reasons), maybe you have a different version and that is causing the problem (?)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I learned of a "HDMI Options Settings" via these forums by hitting Video4 and standby on the receiver. I played around with them and found that by changing b:TV EDID Through to "on" the channels now change normally and ff on dvr works normally. No idea what this actually is and I haven't seen mention of this screen in the manual, but I will be honest, manuals are a last resort for me and I haven't taken the time to completly search for this.

·
Registered
780 Posts
That's good news. I've never heard of EDID, so I found this on the wide wide world of the web...

DDC channel & EDID chip

DDC stands for Display Data Channel and is defined by the Video Electronic Standards Association (VESA). Using an HDMI cable, the DDC channel is used by a source device (like a DVD player) to determine the audio / visual capabilities of the display device. This is achieved by reading from an EDID ROM chip that is required to be present in all HDMI enabled TVs / Monitors. EDID is defined by VESA. It stands for Extended Display Identification Data and an EDID chip would hold information like..

Manufacturer Name

Product Type

Supported Video Resolutions

Supported Audio Formats

Colour Depth Capabilities

etc. Because of the DDC Channel and EDID chip, a source device can automatically adjust the video and audio output to the best possible format for the display device, removing the need for the consumer to manually alter settings to get the highest quality output. As a matter of interest, HDCP also utilizes the DDC channel to initiate a "handshake" with all HDCP-enabled devices in a system.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I'm not sure if that's what really fixed problem. I don't get Dolby-D 5.1 from the moto to 674 now. It auto sets to Direct.

I've messed with the audio setting in moto(set to auto, L-PCM, Passthrough). Passthrough gets my 5.1 audio back but it also gives me the slow channel changing back.

It seems now I can't get the best of both worlds for audio and video. It's getting a little frustrating. According to info I found on the firmware 12.35 is the version that allows HDCP repeaters.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I swapped out the moto for a new one, but still have the same issue.

The only way I can seem to get Dolby Digital is with the moto set to pass-through, but when I do this I get the slow channel changing. When I set it to auto my channels change normal, but I don't get Dolby-D on the 674, just Direct.

There is one good thing in the hassle though, I scored a 6416 III in the moto swap at Mediacom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.