AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information on the multiroom capabilities of the Onkyo TX-SR700? I am looking to be able to drive a pair of speakers in my bedroom for music, while I also am watching the HT in the family room.

I currently have a Carver HT-800 (I think thats the number) that steals the rear speaker amps for the second zone, shuts down the center and uses that to run the rears. Funky now, but at the time, it was pretty cool.

I don't want to have to set two receivers in my family room to do this function unless I have to. And from what I've been able to uncover, since Sony dropped the DA-3ES and DA-5ES, the alternatives are slim to none. I'd also like to keep the price below $1200.

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
The TX-SR700 has a powered Zone 2. It delivers 100 Watts RMS power. You can use a volume control in your bedroom to control the volume. The volume control should be around $60-100 dollars.

I have the Integra 7.3 (premium line of Onkyo) with a powered Zone 2. I am running 2 pairs of in-ceiling speakers using impedance matching volume control. Works great.

You could get really fancy, use a volume control with an IR sensor to be able to control Zone 2 using the remote.

This Zone is indepent of the 5.1 channel surround system. You can listen to one source in the family room and another source in Zone 2. Or the same source of course.

Scott R.

Video General Inc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also,

The Onkyo TX-SR600 has an A/B front speaker setup, which 'B' does steal the power from the center channel and rears similar to your Carver.

Scott R.

Video General Inc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott,

Thanks very much for the reply! Sounds like the SR700 is a real player in my requirements for a replacement. :)

Mac

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Thanks very much for the reply! Sounds like the SR700 is a real player in my requirements for a replacement.
Plus, having the pre-outs on the SR700 will allow you to add more amplification if required in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.