AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at both of these receivers. I need something midrange that can upscale analog video stuff, has S-video ins (I own a lot of 8-32bit game consoles), and runs the cool new audio codecs. Speakers will be BIC America DV-62CLRS center, BIC America Venturi DV64 left/right and undetermined surrounds. Anyway, I've narrowed things down to the Onkyo 707 and the Pioneer 9040. Which would you guys pick? I've have good experiences with the Onkyo's I have owned (running a 502 that came with a HTIB right now) and was going to go with the 707...but the price has gone up on them for some reason. Amazon has them at $675.26 right now, while the 9040 is just $527.56. I keep seeing threads where people got a new 707 from amazon in the $500 range. Dunno where those deals have gone...

Anyway, based just on performace, which would you guys pick?

·
Registered
452 Posts
There really is nothing to pick one over the other. They are both good quality AVRs that are THX certified. Flip a coin and be happy

Or come up with a little more cash and go for the next model higher in either manufacturers lineup.

I own an Onkyo HT-RC 180, which is the next model up in their line from the 707. It is a very nice, full featured AVR and would make you very happy for not that many more dollars. Can be had in the $650 range online, which makes it a much better deal than a 707.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts