AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TXSR803 that has been pushing Five pioneer speakers (fronts are 8ohm 150watt the rears are 8ohm 160watt and center is 8ohm 100watt). Now when I purchased the unit I made sure that it would support 8 ohm speakers. The Specifications said that it would support 8ohm speakers to 165 watt. The problem now is that I went and checked and it says that it doesn't support but 6 or 4 ohms. The unit has been pushing these 8ohm speakers for almost 3-4 years with no problems. Now the unit powers on, but will intermittently play audio. When it doesn't work it won't show that it's pulling a signal over fiber optics(pcm, etc.). Won't take any audio from stereo input either. I think it may be the driver's inside the unit, but wanted to know what yall thought.

tx-sr 803 specs:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=s

update: now the unit powers on, but will not play any audio from any type of input. I pulled the cover off and checked all the fuses and all are checking out fine on continuity test. Can any one eplain what drivers are and how they work, or better yet how to test them? I would send the unit off to be serviced, but shipping is expensive and the onkyo certified location is telling me 3 weeks just for diagnostics.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Onkyo TX-SR803 has always been a unit which supplies up to 105 Watts per channel with 2 channels driven. The 135 you see is for 6 ohms. On this unit you would set it to 6 ohms for 8 ohm speakers. No where does it state 165 watts for 8 ohm speakers.

There is no driver, I assuming you mean a firmware, that would cause your unit to stop working. Could be a circuit board gone bad. Try resetting the unit to the factory default. The procedure for this, if like most Onkyo units, is to turn the unit off. then turn it on and while holding down the VCR/DVR button, press the standby button. The word "Clear" will appear on the display. Rerun your speaker setup. This may solve your problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very helpful thank you. only thing is that my unit doesn't have a vcr/dvr button...any one know how to perform a hard reset on an onky reciever?

·
The Village Idiot
9,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardiman04 /forum/post/18702958

Very helpful thank you. only thing is that my unit doesn't have a vcr/dvr button...any one know how to perform a hard reset on an onky reciever?

To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down the [VIDEO 1] button, press the [STANDBY/ON] button. Clear will appear on the display and the AV receiver will enter Standby mode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts