AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently a lightening storm rolled through and there were several 'brown-outs' where the power and lights dimmed and flickered. At one point during the storm my subwoofer started continually making a very loud WOMP WOMP WOMP sound when its only source was some Dolby Digital content sent from the cable box.

I immediately unplugged the sub and changed the source to my PC and plugged it back in. To see if the sub or receiver were damaged I played some low-frequency music and got nothing from the sub. The next step was to try a level-calibration on the receiver, where it sends reference level noise to each speaker, once again nothing from the subwoofer.

The only time the sub makes a noise is when the audio source changes it will make a quick, loud 'pop' noise. Example, changing from cable to PC source or when changing channel to channel on the cable box, each time there is a brief pop. I don't have another receiver to checkout the sub with but I hooked my mp3 player up to a 3.5" to stereo connector and plugged that into the sub low-level input and it plays the content just fine.

I am guessing that the storm fried something relating to the receiver's sub pre-out, although the 4 speaker outputs I'm using on the sub and all other features seem to work fine. I'm also guessing the popping noise is from some extra voltage on the pre-out line caused by some short.

My subwoofer (Hsu VTF 3.3) has sub 'high-level' speaker wire inputs. I don't think there is anyway to utilize these with the SR805? Also, I am wondering if there is a workaround to use any of the other 5 pre-outs (center, surrounds, fronts) to send the low-freq sub channel content? If there is no other hope is there some determinative test I can perform with a multimeter and the receiver, such as attempting a level calibration on the sub and monitoring the voltage on the pre-out?

This is a beast of a receiver as far as the power supply and DACs that are in it as well as THX Ultra2 and they discontinued the model. I don't think I could get anything close to the quality of it now without spending a grand so I would love to have it repaired. Does anyone have an idea what this type of repair would cost? This was a $1200 receiver when it came out and I paid about $600 for it and I'd gladly pay up to $200 if it could be fixed. My sub is useless without it );

Thanks to anyone with any input.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The lesson to be learned is, unplug your equipment prior to a thunderstorm. I always unplug when there is a threat of bad weather.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.