AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a buddy who recently acquired a used Onkyo TX-SR806 but for some reason when the volume gets turned up loud the amp turns off(stand by mode) until turned back on again. My friend is not much of a HT guy and has very low quality equipment(old RCA's, old speakers, smaller and old wires, etc.) that he has hooked up to the amp. Do you guys think that maybe that could be the problem or do you guys think it's flat out toast?

He's offered it to me for some money he owes me but I don't know if I should take it or not. I don't what the deal was with the amp before he recieved it. Sorry I don't have any more info then that as my friend lives in another city and has only sent me an e-mail with this problem. Anyone heard of this problem on these amps?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Hook the AVR up to your speakers and see how it works. Credit your friends account accordingly.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/16911729

Not really the info I was looking for but thx for trying.

What info are you looking for? You want to know if the AVR works right.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by captavs /forum/post/16911739

What info are you looking for? You want to know if the AVR works right.

lol well of course but I guess I'm trying to find out if anyone else might of ran into similar issues and could give me some feedback on wether it was an "easy fix" or if it was pooched. If nobody else has seemed to run into this problem then I'd be leaning towards thinking it might be something else other then the reciever, but who knows?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/16911848

lol well of course but I guess I'm trying to find out if anyone else might of ran into similar issues and could give me some feedback on wether it was an "easy fix" or if it was pooched. If nobody else has seemed to run into this problem then I'd be leaning towards thinking it might be something else other then the reciever, but who knows?

"very low quality equipment(old RCA's, old speakers, smaller and old wires, etc." Maybe there is a problem with your friends speakers, wires, etc.

Maybe the AVR is having a problem.

You will need to test it and see.

·
Registered
894 Posts
He probably put it into 4 ohm mode. On Onkyos this is *severely* current-limited and will trip overcurrent extremely easily (my 804 couldn't even run auto-calibration without going into protect!). Why? In order to game the THX testing spec. In the real world you don't actually have to run 4 ohm speakers in 4 ohm mode -- you should in fact run *all* speakers on 6 ohm (the default) mode.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by captavs /forum/post/16911942

"very low quality equipment(old RCA's, old speakers, smaller and old wires, etc." Maybe there is a problem with your friends speakers, wires, etc.

Maybe the AVR is having a problem.

You will need to test it and see.

Unfortunately the cost of shipping this beast half way across the country just to see if it works makes that option not so viable other wise I probably would have already

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 /forum/post/16911976

He probably put it into 4 ohm mode. On Onkyos this is *severely* current-limited and will trip overcurrent extremely easily (my 804 couldn't even run auto-calibration without going into protect!). Why? In order to game the THX testing spec. In the real world you don't actually have to run 4 ohm speakers in 4 ohm mode.

Thank you, this is exactly the type of info I am looking for

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/16911977

Unfortunately the cost of shipping this beast half way across the country just to see if it works makes that option not so viable other wise I probably would have already

Then back to your guessing game
Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts