AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 875 has served me well for years. It drives my Definitive Mythose One, 8, Gem XL like a champ and I still enjoy listening to it everyday. But I hear so much about the Class D amp from the Elite's and has been holding back for years on purchasing one. The 875 lacks all the little techie stuff found on the SC 61, IE ipad control, airplay and android support etc. But most annoying is that when I use it with my HTPC, there's a handshaking issue everytime I turn my TV on with Windows Media playing. For a couple hundred dollars more than what I can sell the 875 for I can pick up the SC-61. Does anyone have both or have heard both side by side that are properly calibrated have feedback? The SC 61 is 125w while the Onkyo is 140watt.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Power output from that Pioneer is more like 41W per channel maximum (that's with 100% efficiency no loss and DSP and other electronics not using any more

290W power consumption / 7 = 41W

That 125W output is probably one channel driven. 1khz, into 6ohm. No distortion figure could be 10% for all you know!

Your Onkyo has proper output

140 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm

loads, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a

maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.05% (FTC)

Granted they don't give all channels driven but at least with those figures in 2 channel mode, and also power consumption you get an idea that it'll be more than 40W a channel.

870W / 7 = 124W

I wouldn't buy a Pioneer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yes class D amps have come a long way. Maybe even so far that they are not significantly worse than traditional class ab amps like your 875. The pioneer actually measures quite well...
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-61-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Still, I would replace that Onkyo with another Onkyo if I had to have the new features. If you want as much power as you currently have you will probably need a big unit like a 1010, 3010 or 5010

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:

0.1% distortion at 99.4 watts

.1% is distortion?

For a proper test I'd expect them to use the standard, usually 0.05% THD

So the Pioneer has less than 99W power.

·
Registered
371 Posts
To which standard do you refer? Manufacturers use whatever suits them. There is no universal standard. I've seen ratings that vary from 0.03% to 10%. Onkyo seem to be using 0.7% for their newest receiver. This Audioholics article considers 1% to be the norm but 0.1% to perhaps be the threshold for audibility. http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/basic-amplifier-measurement-techniques

In any event the difference in output between 0.05% and 0.1% rating is likely to be less than 5 watts given that these distortion levels are well above the knee in the power vs distortion graph.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

Quote:
To which standard do you refer?

My own. All channels driven, into 8 ohm, RMS, 20hz-20khz, at 0.05% THD.

If a amp has "1 channel driven, into 6ohm, 1khz, with 10% THD" you know the amp is rubbish, or if it shows that power into 4ohm is lower than into 6 or 8ohm and with rising THD (very poor power supply)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I didn't realized there's that much difference. Due to the size of my room I know I've never driven the Onkyo all the way but the fact that there's that much power in reserve, I'm not distorting anything at the listening level. I guess I'll look at some newer onkyo and see what's out there.

btw: what's a decent onkyo 7.1 receiver to replace the 875 with? the 929 is a 9.2 which I'll never use the 4 extra channels for.

·
Registered
371 Posts
There is not that much difference in power output...

Compare this>
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-tx-nr3010-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

to the link I posted earlier for the Pioneer remembering that you need double the power to net a 3dB difference in output.

However the Onkyos are thought to have a much better auto calibration in the MultEQ XT32 system.

Currently the TX-NR1010 is the only Onkyo that matches what you have now for power, has MultEQ XT32 and is only 7 channel.

The smaller, newer 929 has 4K pass-through (@ max 30fps) which the 1010 does not (it only upscales 1080p content to 4k) if that's important to you, but the amps in the 929 are a bit weaker.

If you wait for a bit you might be able to get an HDMI 2.0 amp which will pass 4K at 60fps. Everyone's kind of waiting to see what receiver manufacturers put out this year.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't know. I never found my 875 to be super punchy. In fact, the difference when I added a dedicated power amp (Rotel RMB 1565 also Class D) was night and day, especially in my B&W 817's in the rear .

I'm still running my 875, but like many, the HDMI board is on the way out and I'll likely replace it with something from a different manufacturer. I'd definitely consider demoing the pioneer and even the denon x4000 to see which best suits you, or just wait for the 2014 models to start showing up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.