AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both are coming in just under $1000 right now on Amazon. Both seem to have impressive resumes, but I'm not super familiar with the inside details of receivers. Which do you all feel is the better buy for the money?

Thanks,

Mike

·
The Village Idiot
9,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 /forum/post/17017546

They might be a similar price but only because one is at the end of it's shelf life. The 876 is in a different class than it's younger sibling.

+1

Buy the 876 (silver $799-black $849)! It will be worth it.

And the 875 is available in silver for $699 - and arguably has a better amp section than the 876.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/17017609

And the 875 is available in silver for $699 - and arguably has a better amp section than the 876.

What do you base that on? Are you thinking about the 905/906 vs 875/876?

The 875 and the 876 are almost identical, see specs:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=s
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=s

These are the changes from TX-SR875 I know about:

- an extra HDMI out: 2 HDMI Outputs [Main/Sub])

- THX Ultra2 Plus Certified

- THX Loudness Plus

- THX Ultra2 Music / Game

- Audyssey Dynamic EQ for Loudness Correction

- Audyssey Dynamic Volume to Maintain Optimal Listening Level and Dynamic Range

- HD Radio reception (North American models only)

- ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) Video Calibration Function per video source input

including a) a "Blue Only Mode" for color adjustments and b) an explicit choice of SD->HD colorspace conversion.

- Music Optimizer to Support Compressed Digital Music Files

- Newly Designed GUI for System Set-up

- New calibration microphone for Audyssey manufactured by Audyssey and not Onkyo like the 875/905.

·
Premium Member
24,156 Posts
If you wanted the new PLIIz Height sound then the 807 is a must. I like the 876 but to my ears the 807 is just as good and even better since I use Height sound now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/17017609

+1

Buy the 876 (silver $799-black $849)! It will be worth it.

Those are factory reconditioned. Anyone purchased one of those? What's your opinion? Same warranty? I must say spending a grand on a receiver is more than I had wanted to spend. $800 is far more palitable. I was initially looking at the 806 which is selling for closer to $500. But the reviews on that receiver seem mixed. I've heard of a lot of issues with the upconversion. Are these non-issues in the 876 and 807?

Also are these units completely overkill if I only plan to do 5.1 at current time. My place is just too small for 7.1, but if I move and have the room I'd certainly like to grow. I don't mind spending the money if i think this unit will last me for years and years and years to come. But it seems every year they introduce more HDMI ports and the market is in a shift. If this is true it might not be the best move to spend big $$$ to get something that I might want to use for 10 years if it lacks things that are coming down the pipe. Any thoughts on this?

This stuff is very overwelming. I truly appreciate the input of you audiophiles!

Mike

·
The Village Idiot
9,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschman /forum/post/17018835

Those are factory reconditioned. Anyone purchased one of those? What's your opinion? Same warranty? I must say spending a grand on a receiver is more than I had wanted to spend. $800 is far more palitable. I was initially looking at the 806 which is selling for closer to $500. But the reviews on that receiver seem mixed. I've heard of a lot of issues with the upconversion. Are these non-issues in the 876 and 807?

Also are these units completely overkill if I only plan to do 5.1 at current time. My place is just too small for 7.1, but if I move and have the room I'd certainly like to grow. I don't mind spending the money if i think this unit will last me for years and years and years to come. But it seems every year they introduce more HDMI ports and the market is in a shift. If this is true it might not be the best move to spend big $$$ to get something that I might want to use for 10 years if it lacks things that are coming down the pipe. Any thoughts on this?

This stuff is very overwelming. I truly appreciate the input of you audiophiles!

Mike

Buying refurbished happens all the time on these forums - very few buyers have remorse - the prices are so much better than buying retail and new.

Often most refurbished stuff is just gear that someone 'thought' they wanted - and in many of those cases - found out it was more complicated than they thought so they returned the item and claimed it was defective. The sales staff at BB isn't going to dispute that - they make out a return slip and sell the customer something else. Probably as much as 80% of all audio/video gear is returned in perfect working order. I've saved a lot of money buying refurbished gear over the years.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:

Mike

Not an audiophile by any means, but I do know what I like. I just came from a Yamaha 2600 to the Onkyo 876. Still in the learning curve with it. Now the 2600 also gave me an option to use heigth spekers instead of surround backs. I didn't care for it much, so back to the rear they went. Then again as joerod states he would never be without it again. Thats great as Onkyo may have done something with Dolby PLIIz in the 807 to make it worth the effort. He's taking a lot of un-warranted attacks for his likes especially from some members whom have never heard it. They know who they are. You would need to decide if this is something you would use. If it isn't then the 876 would seem to be the better choice. I haven't followed the specs on the 807 so I can't really give you advice on it. Check out both receivers closely and then decide which of the two have the features,connections, and other things on them that you will defintely use and go from there. I think that either would be a good choice as far as being future proof as they much as that means. As for the same warranty question the answer is no. New ones have a 2 year warranty, refurbs have a 1 year warranty. I've never let the warranty stop me from buying something I want. There's always MACK warranties that are extremely cheap and take over whenever the manufacturers run out. So you can 5 years of warranty for ~ an additional $60. Hope this helps some and good luck. I realize what your'e going through because I did the same thing for 2 years. So far the 876 is working as I want although I still have a lot to learn about it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have both an 876 and a Denon 3310; I haven't gotten around to testing PLIIz on my Denon 3310 as I'm not sure that the wife would go for yet another two speakers in the room; also, my room is just under 8' tall and the spread between my front speakers is only about 6.5' so I don't think PLIIz is worth the trouble in my case. On the other hand, I would probably give it a try in the room where I have my 876 if I had the option to as I have 10' ceilings in that room and the fronts are spread apart by 12'.

In any event, if IIz is not something you're dying to get I would go with the 876; you really have to spend a lot of money to get something comparable in terms of amp section; it has better video processing than the 807, more tweaking options (onboard isf controls per input), MultiEQ XT (over MultiEQ), Burr Brown DACs, DSD decoding, THX Ultra 2 certified/surround modes, among other things. The only thing you are giving up is the networking features; really this feature is overhyped as AVRs are limited in this regard anyway, I don't think my 3310's networking features are anything to write home about; if networking is important to you, spend a few hundred dollars on a PC and hook it up in your entertainment rack, you will never look back.

Now if IIz and networking is very important to you I would also consider the Denon 3310, it has a nicer GUI, and more capable video processing (although I think the implementation of video processing in all AVRs has too many limitations to be truly useful). On the other hand, the 807 has THX processing (I can't say it's a big selling point for me as I rarely use it on my 876) and it is a little bit cheaper.

Also, the 807 seems to weight more than the Denon but Denon's are usually pretty good at coming close to their rated spec even with all channels driven; to illustrate sound and vision bench tested a 2809 (weighs just a hair less than a 3310) which was rated at 115/channel and they achieved 112 watts/channel with 5 channels driven and 100 watts/channel with 7 channels driven.

Anyway, that's my $.02, I hope it helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys. I think based off of what I have read on my own and what I'm gleaming from the posts in this thread, the 876 is the receiver for me.

I just posted a new thread in the speakers section about what to potentially mate to my new 876. Perhaps you gents my have some more helpful suggestions for the speaker side of the equation.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17020341

Thanks again for so many helpful posts. You all have really made the decision making process easier.

Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeah have any of you bought the silver unit? Even though i'd prefer black I have silver components as well and silver wouldn't look bad, especially at $50 cheaper. Just curious if anyone regrets the silver or if in person it doesn't look as good as the black. Your feedback is valued, thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
3,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschman /forum/post/17020383

Oh yeah have any of you bought the silver unit? Even though i'd prefer black I have silver components as well and silver wouldn't look bad, especially at $50 cheaper. Just curious if anyone regrets the silver or if in person it doesn't look as good as the black. Your feedback is valued, thanks!

Mike

That is a personal choice really. I have all black components except my Xbox 360, Wii, and Motorola Fios DVR Box. Buy what you want! Do not compromise for $50. If you own this for 5+ years, it could be a huge mistake if you don't get the color you want. I think components should be black and buy accordingly.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschman /forum/post/17020383

Mike

I have the silver one and it is a very good looking unit. Classy is the word my wife used. After having everything else in black I do find the Silver 876 a very pleasant change. You wouldn't disappointed I believe.

·
Registered
14,791 Posts

Quote:

Those are factory reconditioned. Anyone purchased one of those? What's your opinion? Same warranty?

I have bought a 805, 885 and a 886 from shoponkyo. The only actual reconditioned unit was the 805. The 885 and 886 were new units that were sold as reconditioned (to clear out stock?). I have had no issues at all with these three and shoponkyo was great to deal with. It is great to get a top shelf receiver/prepro for a very good price with a full warranty
. When you deal with shoponkyo you are dealing directly with Onkyo.

The warranty with shoponkyo reconditioned receivers is 1 year, if you have a premuim credit card some offer to double the warranty to 2 years. shoponkyo offers extended warranties to extend the warranty to 3 years for $85.00.

Bill

·
Registered
750 Posts
Found this old thread while poking around for SR876 info. Things have changed in the last four months.

For those of you debating this subject, right now the Onkyo NR807 can be had for $760 and up at some discount places, check Google. Most places are closer to $800.

The Onkyo 876 can be had for $800 BRAND NEW (not refurbished) in silver (black is $970) at TigerDirect and CompUSA (owned by same company).

They have their own websites but also sell through Amazon at the same prices. I found the shipping to be cheaper through Amazon.

Most places still sell the 876 for over $1000, some as much as $1200, so this is a good deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.