AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Hoping for a bit of help as I'm a newb and not sure if I have a defective receiver or I just have my gear setup incorrectly. Thank you in advance.

My setup is an Onkyo TX-SRS606 with a 5.1 Energy setup that has 4 C-50 and an S8.3 8-inch Hybrid Subwoofer.

Problem: Seemed to work absolutely fine until recently, now the receiver seems to randomly shut-off... For example, tonight I turned on some music (heavy bass) and it shut off within 5 seconds... it was not on loud, just medium (40 of 80). Additionally, I was just watching Minority Report on 40/80 and it worked fine until an action sequence and it just cut off.

Not sure if I have some settings wrong, my receiver is trying to protect my gear or if my receiver is just bunk.

Thank you again for any advice

·
Registered
498 Posts
Check all of your speaker connections and make sure you don't have a short. If everything looks good, you can disconnect 1 speaker at a time and try to replicate the problem. You may find a speaker cable short is causing the problem. If not then maybe it's a receiver issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
quick followup before I check on the short.

When I play my music, it is only through the front 3.1. When I play the movies, it is the entire 5.1... since it shuts off using only 3.1, does it mean I only need to check out the front speakers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If that's the case then first step I would just disconnect the rear speakers. Then make sure the problem still occurs. That 100% rules them out. Then go with testing the rest.

What center speaker are you using? I see you only listed 4 c-50's. Also why 3.1 for music. 2.1 should sound better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Using the Energy C-C50 for the center channel.

Perhaps the music is 2.1- newb :)

Update: I noticed the right rear was static-y... unplugged both rears though... testing music now. No problem, but it's an intermittent problem I can't reproduce at will, so might be a while.

Update2: In the hopes it might help, I changed the Front Speakers setting from Full Band to 60hz. Not sure if this done anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick update: Woke up this morning and turned on the receiver to listen to some music, it shut off within 10 seconds at 30/80 volume (low-medium). I'll investigate some more when I get home from work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After much testing, it appears to 'work' when only 1 speaker is plugged in. Doesn't seem to matter which one. The moment I add in 1 other speaker, it shuts down.

Busted receiver?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Seems like you have tested everything. I guess it's looking like an AVR issue. There is a way to do a factory reset, but I'm not sure how. You could try that. You can probably find that info in the receiver forum section. I think there is a large thread dedicated to your specific AVR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts