AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could choose between these two receivers which would you choose? I know there is a fairly large difference in retail price, but I can get them both for the same.


Feature-wise the Sony seems to be a decent step up, but I have always been leary of Sony when it comes to audio.


What do you guys think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,876 Posts
I like ES line but in this case if you want to spend extra look into Yamaha 3800.

Onkyo 805 is a good one and I have one but it lacks in SQ imo even compared to my 6 year old 9kES pre/pro. 5300es is similar to Elite 94 in sound quality.

5300ES has stellar video section and should be better than 805 overall but not value.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,036 Posts
um, every Sony receiver after the 7100es is garbage.

Onkyo 805 is the best deal in the industry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz /forum/post/14174763


um, every Sony receiver after the 7100es is garbage.

Onkyo 805 is the best deal in the industry.
Um, I have the 5300 and I think it's a great sounding receiver. Hasn't given me one problem and it's packed full of features.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,036 Posts
Case 2307, the 5300 is nothing compared to the Onkyo, Denon or 2005 Sony offerings.

The 5300 is A DG1000 with six HDMI's and the same DCDI chip in any Sony Bravia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Sony overstates its ratings like no one else.


Sony receivers, including the ES models deliver only a fraction of the rated power output.


In multichannel mode this receiver only delivers ~35 to 40 watts/ch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz /forum/post/14175202


Case 2307, the 5300 is nothing compared to the Onkyo, Denon or 2005 Sony offerings.

The 5300 is A DG1000 with six HDMI's and the same DCDI chip in any Sony Bravia.

Actually the DG1000 has a better amplifier section. The 5300ES is a good receiver - just not worth the price Sony is asking. The DG1000 was a great bargain (I own one and think it's excellent). It was basically the exact same unit as the 5200ES with one less HDMI input and no graphical user interface.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
The Sony 5300ES is an excellent receiver and has received excellent reviews from the Audio/Video press. It has a superb GUI based on the PS3, 6 HDMI inputs, and a 5 year manufacturer's warranty.


If these ever went on sale, I would definitely put it on my short-list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe /forum/post/14176964


The Sony 5300ES is an excellent receiver and has received excellent reviews from the Audio/Video press. It has a superb GUI based on the PS3, 6 HDMI inputs, and a 5 year manufacturer's warranty.


If these ever went on sale, I would definitely put it on my short-list.


What you need to "learn" is to read reviews. Ignore the conclusion, which have obligatory positive spin wording for the magazine advertisers like Sony.

Focus on test results - like power with all channels driven, which gives you a good understanding for the robustness of the amplifier section.


And this is where Sony falls down - it's amplifiers are very weak, delivering only 35% to 40% of their rated power in multi channel mode. This has been proven review after review.


And if the amplifier section of the reciever is no good, then all the other remaining features are meaningless.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,265 Posts
Dionyz has hit the nail on the head.


Here is the output of the 5200 from the S&V review:


Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)

1 channel driven: 169/244 watts (22.3/23.9 dBW)

5 channels driven (8 ohms): 66 watts (18.2 dBW)

6 channels driven (8 ohms): 66 watts (18.2 dBW)


Here is a link to the full test results:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html


This is poor amplifier performance. The Onkyo has a much stronger amp and will most likely sound better. Of course if you need six HDMI inputs, look elsewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionyz /forum/post/14178273


What you need to "learn" is to read reviews. Ignore the conclusion, which have obligatory positive spin wording for the magazine advertisers like Sony.

Focus on test results - like power with all channels driven, which gives you a good understanding for the robustness of the amplifier section.


And this is where Sony falls down - it's amplifiers are very weak, delivering only 35% to 40% of their rated power in multi channel mode. This has been proven review after review.


And if the amplifier section of the reciever is no good, then all the other remaining features are meaningless.

The Sony haters are back again......read the CNET review........also read the Onkyo reviews....the Onk's get extemely hot even out of a cabinet......that's poor amplifier design and bad news for electronics.....heat kills.


I understand that the Sony amps are not as robust as others, but the Sony 5300 works well based on the professional reviews.


I would not touch an Onkyo at the moment....take a look at all the refurbs on Ecost....especially of the 805.....they are selling 40 a day easy.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe /forum/post/14179357


The Sony haters are back again......read the CNET review........also read the Onkyo reviews....the Onk's get extemely hot even out of a cabinet......that's poor amplifier design and bad news for electronics.....heat kills.


I would not touch and Onkyo at the moment....take a look at all the refurbs on Ecost.....

the heat out of the Onkyo TX-SR857 is what made me opt for the Pioneer 94. there a lot of complaints on the net about the heat dissipation of Onkyo receivers, meanwhile, their video processing is the best out there with the high preforming Reon chip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe /forum/post/14179357


The Sony haters are back again......read the CNET review........also read the Onkyo reviews....the Onk's get extemely hot even out of a cabinet......that's poor amplifier design and bad news for electronics.....heat kills.


I would not touch and Onkyo at the moment....take a look at all the refurbs on Ecost.....

I don't think it has anything to do with love or hate. Sony falls short in amp rated specs in comparison to other manufacturers. Onkyo has a much stronger amp and will get hot in comparison. That's fact and can be verified in reviews and test results. Just depends on where the buyers priorities are.


The fact you stated "I would not touch and Onkyo at the moment" itself kinda puts you in the hater category you're referring to. I prefer to think of it as preference and feel lucky we are free to choose but however you want to term it is fine. I personally would go with the 805 as I think the heat issues are overblown and prefer it's sound over Sony but to each his own.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno /forum/post/14178849


Dionyz has hit the nail on the head.


Here is the output of the 5200 from the S&V review:


Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)

1 channel driven: 169/244 watts (22.3/23.9 dBW)

5 channels driven (8 ohms): 66 watts (18.2 dBW)

6 channels driven (8 ohms): 66 watts (18.2 dBW)


Here is a link to the full test results:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html


This is poor amplifier performance. The Onkyo has a much stronger amp and will most likely sound better. Of course if you need six HDMI inputs, look elsewhere.

also from this review

quote:

The Sony STR-DA5200ES presented no surprises. Power was generous in all tests save all-channels-driven, where the receiver topped out at 66 watts all around; note that this is only 4 or 5 dB less than from the most powerful receivers we've tested on the demanding all-channels-driven test.


hmmmm....seems a little better than the 35 watts dionyz likes to spread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,036 Posts
66 is not 120.

that is a big lie.

Denon says 140 but you get 120.

Onkyo says 140 but you get 120.

Marantz says 130 but you get 110.

Those are small lies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/14179487


I don't think it has anything to do with love or hate. Sony falls short in amp rated specs in comparison to other manufacturers. Onkyo has a much stronger amp and will get hot in comparison. That's fact and can be verified in reviews and test results. Just depends on where the buyers priorities are.


The fact you stated "I would not touch and Onkyo at the moment" itself kinda puts you in the hater category you're referring to. I prefer to think of it as preference and feel lucky we are free to choose but however you want to term it is fine. I personally would go with the 805 as I think the heat issues are overblown and prefer it's sound over Sony but to each his own.
I don't own a Sony or Onkyo.


My current receiver is an old Denon AVR-3300 and I'm looking to upgrade. I have looked at them all and in the more "affordable" category have narrowed my choices to the Denon AVR-3808CI followed by the Sony 5300. More than likely I will get the Denon as the Sony never seems to be on sale, but the Denon does every once in awhile.


I took a close look at the 875 but don't like the heat issue as well as the phyical size of the receiver....mainly height.


I currently use an outboard 3 channel Acurus amp to drive my front Thiel speakers and the Acurus stays very cool.


To those who own Onkyo receivers and are happy...great.....don't mean to put them down....they are just not for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,103 Posts
If the amp section isn't up to par, you can always add an outboard amp, which should outclass internal amplification from either of the receivers. Upgrading # of HDMI inputs or video processing means buying a whole different receiver.


I own a 5300ES and enjoy it very much. Plenty of power, especially for 2-channel music (170w~). One of these days I may add a 2-channel amp or a 5-channel amp. But right now it sounds just fine. And I watch movies at -10 to -5 in a medium-large size room.


Yes, the 5300ES is a bit overpriced, at MSRP. I got it at a nice discount, though, and it was a bargain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
998 Posts
I love my 805. I can watch a movie and cook sausages at the same time. Try and do that with any other receiver...
All kidding aside, it has served me well and the heat doesn't bother me because it's in an open area. I will have to say that the amps in this thing are no joke however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz /forum/post/14180964


66 is not 120.

that is a big lie.

Denon says 140 but you get 120.

Onkyo says 140 but you get 120.

Marantz says 130 but you get 110.

Those are small lies.


These #'s could be meaningless depending on the line voltage input and distortion level. I own 805 and agree the amp is powerfull but this unit waste lots of energy as heat so it is not as efficient. I have listened to 5300ES and it sounds better than 805 with excleent midrange sound. Oh please it is in my opinion so no flame here. Sony is not very popular on AVS we all know that.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top