AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this product? I'd like to hear about your experiences if so. It basically adds an optical output to your computer. I get horrible sound (buzzing etc) when I use my laptop to watch DivX or other format movies on my projector.

Here's a link to the item on Onkyo's website.

I am thinking of getting one, I can get them for cheap, but the only problem is that I have to order a few of them, so if anyone is in need of something like this, PM me and I can let you know about it.

Also, does anyone know if using this will mean that you don't necessarily need a sound card in the computer?

Here is what the description says:

Quote:
Onkyo has introduced the UD-5 USB Digital A/V Adapter, which enables consumers to process digital audio from a home or laptop PCs using their home theater of stereo A/V equipment. Thanks to the device's high bandwidth and optical digital output, high quality digital audio, including 5.1-channel DVD and videogame soundtracks, can be digitally processed outside the PC chassis, avoiding the signal degradation and distortion that plagues internal PC audio processors and soundcards.

Most modern PCs feature impressive multimedia capabilities, with onboard DVD players, extensive music libraries, and state-of-the-art video gaming. Unfortunately, the weak link in the PC-based entertainment is in the quality of sound reproduction. Even with high quality speakers and soundcards, inadequate power supply conditioning and the sheer amount of electronic circuitry make PCs notoriously prone to audio signal distortion and interference. With the UD-5 USB Digital A/V adapter, however, digital audio from the USB port of a PC is converted to optical digital for compatibility with modern home and portable processors such as a home A/V receiver and CD or MD recorders.

"As an inherently digital device, the PC was never designed to handle analog signals with the delicacy that high quality audio demands," said Onkyo Product & Marketing Manager Don Milks. "this very small, seamless interface lets the computer stick to the digital domain, relegating D/A conversion and sound reproduction to the home A/V devices that are designed explicitly for these purposes. The UD-5 removes the ceiling that has always been imposed on PC-based entertainment:"

The UD-5 is 2-inches long, and 1-3/8 inches deep and wide. It features a USB input, and an optical digital output. The adapter delivers high quality 44.1 kHz, or 48 kHz digital output signals, for compatibility with both CD and DVD-based audio signals. The Onkyo UD-5 will be available in January with a suggested retail price of $79.00.

Output Sampling Frequency 44.1/48 kHz

Digital Output 1 optical

USB Cable Length 1 1/2 feet

·
Registered
542 Posts
harmon kardon make a similar item and for a more complete approach you can also look at the m-audio offering.

i'd be interested to know how much you can get them for though :D

gbrnole at yahoo dot com

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got mine a couple of days ago and tried it out only for a few minutes connected to my Onkyo amp and it works BEAUTIFULLY through my laptop!! Of course eventually it will be through a full HTPC. To install on XP just plug it in, no software to bother with.

You can find em on ebay, search for "onkyo ud-5"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.