AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently treated myself to getting a new receiver an Onkyo RC360 mostly because I wanted a receiver that could pass all my video signals to my TV and act as a switch.

So one of the features I was excited about is the Internet radio. I'm not a huge fan of setting up FM radio reception in my house and don't have an Apple TV yet. So this receiver seemed like the best bet since the UWF-1 was only $30 and it meant I wouldn't need to buy another adapter or run an Ethernet cable through the wall.

Problem: I went to setup the UWF-1 today and had to broadcast the SSID signal for my network is this the norm for everyone? The signal needs to be broadcast and can't be hidden? I tried to test the status of the signal and it came up as not connected when I hid the signal. I prefer the extra layer of security and would rather keep my SSID hidden. Has anyone found a workaround or found out if that's possible?

Anyone have more detailed information on the details/restrictions of this adapter and receiver?

I plan to call Onkyo tomorrow morning when their customer service opens back up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue when using the UWF-1 with my TX-NR809. I've emailed Onkyo's CS, and am waiting for a reply. Hopefully, this can be fixed in a firmware update.

I saw that Onkyo just released a new update today, but I didn't see anything in the release notes that mentions this issue. Please post if you hear back from their support group.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well SoCalDJ it's not looking good. Here's what I got back from Onkyo today:

"Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support. Unfortunately there is no work around for this and no firmware updates in the immediate future."

Perhaps you'll have better luck.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Doesn't matter , hiding your SSID isn't going to prevent someone who is able to hack your internet if that's what they wanted to do. It's false sense of security.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00
Doesn't matter , hiding your SSID isn't going to prevent someone who is able to hack your internet if that's what they wanted to do. It's false sense of security.
That may be true but why make it easier for the amateur hackers by exposing your SSID? I don't have a false sense of security that hiding my SSID is going to prevent a hack but I do feel better knowing that I'm doing as much as I can to stop it.

That being said, it seems to me Onkyo did a rush job releasing the UWF-1. Did they even test it in all the different wireless configurations people have? Obviously not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts