AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently in Best Buy the Onkyo 709 is at plus 77 and the Denon 2313 was I believe -3 and sounded similar. Is there a difference in the way the volume controls work between the 2 or is the Onkyo short on power?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrivirsible /forum/post/20821657

Recently in Best Buy the Onkyo 709 is at plus 77 and the Denon 2313 was I believe -3 and sounded similar. Is there a difference in the way the volume controls work between the 2 or is the Onkyo short on power?

It's how the volume set up is in the menu of a receiver. Mine is at THX specs if you will that shows the volume a minus whatever number the volume is at. Reference volume for me with my Integra 40.2 shows appox. -45 give or take.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Onkyo has started doing the same and now at least since the x08, the Default Volume Setting is Absolute. In my TX-SR805, TX-SR875, TX-NR3007 the Default Volume Setting was Relative (THX).

Personally, I did switch to Relative as I have been using this Setting for at least 8-9 Years. I am surprised Onkyo switched this which I assume has carried over to the latest x09 Series.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I would never assume you can translate 0 to 99 to a dB scale of any kind. Who knows what the math looks like internally.

I hope I never own a receiver that uses 0 to 99. At least the dB scale has some meaning.

·
Registered
389 Posts
good question and topic ,I have the Onkyo 709 ,I have to put volume @ -3db to +10db to get a good beefy loud sound watching movies it is in reference thx volume mode , not much more the volume would go, Intelvolume helps at times then get distorted , and dynamic eq light don't sound right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.