AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Is there a major difference in sound quality between the Denon 2310ci vs the Onkyo 707? I have been told that Denons are much better amp when it comes to audio? I currently have a Onkyo 705, through Paradigm v.5 Studio 20s HSU sub.... The sound is amazing, but people are telling me that there would be a major difference in sound quality if I purchased a Denon.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
The 707 has pre-outs (correct?) and the 2310 does not so if you ever needed more power you couldnt add it to the 2310.

Other then that people telling you there is a Major difference in sound quality are just exagerrating subjective brand followers....ignore them.

The Onkyo products do rate better wrt Amp #s, the denon products do not have better amps, both would give you 100% of the SQ you will ever want.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The 705 has more advanced room correction (MultEQ XT) than either new model. In fact, you'd have to go up to the 4310 to get a current Denon with that version of Audyssey.

The new Denons and Onkyos have Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ, but I wouldn't be surprised if you still thought any change got you worse sound rather than better. Stick with what you've got. Add an external amp if you want new gear.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16995153

The 707 has pre-outs (correct?) and the 2310 does not so if you ever needed more power you couldnt add it to the 2310.

Other then that people telling you there is a Major difference in sound quality are just exagerrating subjective brand followers....ignore them.

The Onkyo products do rate better wrt Amp #s, the denon products do not have better amps, both would give you 100% of the SQ you will ever want.

It has pre-outs but like its big brother the 807 it does NOT have multi-channel analog inputs. Onkyo wants everyone who buys these to also give up their gear that uses these type of inputs. I mean how much extra would that board have cost? If I were the OP I'd keep the 705 and get something else he really needs.

·
Banned
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16995484

It has pre-outs but like its big brother the 807 it does NOT have multi-channel analog inputs. Onkyo wants everyone who buys these to also give up their gear that uses these type of inputs. I mean how much extra would that board have cost? If I were the OP I'd keep the 705 and get something else he really needs.

What would one need multi-channel analog inputs for? That's what HDMI is for.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I went from a Onkyo 875 to a Denon 2310/890. I did this because my TV was having HDMI handshaking problems.

Sound quality wise I don't really notice any difference

However, the Audyssey Dynamic EQ is a feature that made it all worth it. I will never buy a receiver without this feature again. The subjective sound quality during normal TV watching is so much better.

·
Banned
7,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16995153

both would give you 100% of the SQ you will ever want.

Agreed 100%...

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/16996244

I went from a Onkyo 875 to a Denon 2310/890. I did this because my TV was having HDMI handshaking problems.

Sound quality wise I don't really notice any difference

However, the Audyssey Dynamic EQ is a feature that made it all worth it. I will never buy a receiver without this feature again. The subjective sound quality during normal TV watching is so much better.

Does the Onkyo 707 have dynamic EQ too?

Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume can be the deal breaker.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
The 705 has more advanced room correction (MultEQ XT) than either new model. In fact, you'd have to go up to the 4310 to get a current Denon with that version of Audyssey.

The 2809 has MultEQ XT, dynamic volume, dynamic EQ so he does not need to go all the way to the 4310. I also think the 2809 price these days is INCREDIBLE! Its as good as the Onkyo 885 refurb prices we got a while back. The 2809 still has everything anyone needs.

Is there a 2810 or 3810? I havent followed lately but if they exist they should have Audyssey MultEQ XT too.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16995484

Didnt know that, honestly I stopped following the AVRs this past year... the 2008 models had everything and I didnt see anything new in the latest 2009 options.

Dropping the multi-channel inputs sucks IMO but they think HDMI is the world I guess.

·
Registered
28,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar_984 /forum/post/16996234

Because if like multichannel audio and you have an older SACD or DVD-Audio player, it most likely has analog outputs and no HDMI. That means you'd have to buy a new player to accomodate the Onkyo 707.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16996332

Does the Onkyo 707 have dynamic EQ too?

Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume can be the deal breaker.

Yes, The 707 does have it too, but I was just giving a reason for him to justify changing from his 705 whether it be a new Onkyo or Denon (or the 2309 as you also stated)

IMO, the Dynamic EQ is a sound quality change that one can EASILY notice day to day, everyday. Even my wife notices it, everything just sounds fuller she says

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16996344

Is there a 2810 or 3810? I havent followed lately but if they exist they should have Audyssey MultEQ XT too.

There's a 3310 but they ripped XT out of it.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16996344

The 2809 has MultEQ XT, dynamic volume, dynamic EQ so he does not need to go all the way to the 4310. I also think the 2809 price these days is INCREDIBLE! Its as good as the Onkyo 885 refurb prices we got a while back. The 2809 still has everything anyone needs.

For those of you that haven't followed the new AVr's for 2009, here's a few differences I can recall. The 3310 is the replacement for the 2809 with the exception of Audessey XT, it doesn't have it. It does have Dolby IIz and a few extra HDMI ports and list for $1499. The 4310 is where you get back XT and its the replacement for the 3808CI, also Dolby IIz, more HDMI ports and list for $1999. Denon it seems is following suit with other manufacturers and adding HDMI inputs and losing weight, but also going up in prices. Right now it seems the bargains and IMO the best AVR's are the 2008 models. Don't even look at the Yamaha for thier Spring releases, for what you pay for one of these beginning with the 665 and up to the 1065 is a joke as to what Yamaha released in 2007 and 2008. Maybe they are saving thier good releases for the Fall run. No telling what those price will be. As for the comment about Onkyo not having multi-channel analog inputs on thier so far releases their are still many people out there that have sources that use these inputs. Not everyone is going to rush out to buy Oppo's,Denon's $3500, or for the same price the Lexicon multi disc players. So far as I know these are the only makers that do make a source that will play Blu-Ray,SACD/DVD-A and CD's that actually do as stated. Too many people still have very good source players for SACD/DVD-A that use analog inputs. So these people will ignore the new offerings from Onkyo or pony up for a new source that will play these formats with HDMI. Me, I'll keep my Pioneer Elite 79AVi for my SACD/DVD-A collection and the newly just arrived Onkyo 876. Oh, Mr. Penngray, Denon will be releasing a 4810 in September that may be equal to the 4308 for a price $3000.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:

Thanks for everybody's opinions. I think I will stay with what I have. In regards to this quote from Nascar, My old hybrid Denon SACD/DVD audio player uses analog outs. As far as sound quality I have yet to here SACD/DVD audio player via HDMI sound as good as analog outs.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic /forum/post/16998520

My old hybrid Denon SACD/DVD audio player uses analog outs. As far as sound quality I have yet to here SACD/DVD audio player via HDMI sound as good as analog outs.

What, Analog outs sounds better then HDMI. You better go out and do some listening

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy /forum/post/16998600

What, Analog outs sounds better then HDMI. You better go out and do some listening

I have listened to a SACD player with HDMI and if you can put up with the audio drop-outs on a lot of the music I listened to your'e good to go. I did not notice a difference in the sound at all. What I did notice is what I stated above. Not worth the cost in order to just go to a newer AVR and a new source to go along with it. The OP is making the right decision in IMHO. Have not had an opportunity to use the new Oppo player it may work flawlessly with SACD/DVD-A. I'll stay with my Elite 79AVi and 876 and not look back.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy /forum/post/16998600

Well I am compairing the Denon 2900, to an older model Oppo that has SACD/DVD audio via HDMI. The Denon just sounds much warmer, and the detail of the sound is much clearer. Maybe I should look at better SACD/DVD audio players, like the new Oppo. Do you think the these new (HDMI), players will sound better than my Denon?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic /forum/post/16999041

Well I am compairing the Denon 2900, to an older model Oppo that has SACD/DVD audio via HDMI. The Denon just sounds much warmer, and the detail of the sound is much clearer. Maybe I should look at better SACD/DVD audio players, like the new Oppo. Do you think the these new (HDMI), players will sound better than my Denon?

I have no idea that it would sound better as I have never listened to one. The advantage would be one conection to a source that does play all the formats if its the new Oppo you are looking into. For its price it does seem like a bargain. These is an article right now over at Audioholics comparing the Oppo multi-player and the $3500 Lexicon that does the same thing. It seems that the Lexicon and Oppo are almost identical, its as if Oppo made this player for Lexicon and is charging 7X the price for it. Denon is also making a player that does the same thing as the Oppo and its also listing for $3500. Its hard (for me anyway) to warrant the price for the new Onkyo 807 and the cost ($499) of the Oppo. After paying for these two you are looking into the $1500+ price range, if shipping is free. Only you can decide if thats worth it to you. I guess you can always try them and if you notice a difference send them back. Or you can keep your current AVR(705) and just order the Oppo. It will work with your current AVR by the HDMI cable only. Good luck and I hope I have not confused or convinced you one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16999137

I have no idea that it would sound better as I have never listened to one. The advantage would be one conection to a source that does play all the formats if its the new Oppo you are looking into. For its price it does seem like a bargain. These is an article right now over at Audioholics comparing the Oppo multi-player and the $3500 Lexicon that does the same thing. It seems that the Lexicon and Oppo are almost identical, its as if Oppo made this player for Lexicon and is charging 7X the price for it. Denon is also making a player that does the same thing as the Oppo and its also listing for $3500. Its hard (for me anyway) to warrant the price for the new Onkyo 807 and the cost ($499) of the Oppo. After paying for these two you are looking into the $1500+ price range, if shipping is free. Only you can decide if thats worth it to you. I guess you can always try them and if you notice a difference send them back. Or you can keep your current AVR(705) and just order the Oppo. It will work with your current AVR by the HDMI cable only. Good luck and I hope I have not confused or convinced you one way or the other.

Thanks for the reply. If I did decide to go with the new Oppo, it also has 7.1 analog outs so I could use both. I am just wondering if the sound is any better and worthy of me spending another $500.00 for another peice of equipment I dont need

1 - 20 of 65 Posts