AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and I have been surfing the web all day looking at theater systems but I would like to get some opinions. I have narrowed my search down to the following:

-Onkyo HT-S3300 for $300

-Onkyo HT-S5300 for $440

-Denon DHT-591BA for $600

-Onkyo HTRC260 7.2 Channel Home Theater Receiver and Klipsch HD300 Home Theater Speaker System Bundle for $580

I am looking for a good quality system that will give me good sound for years to come. I do not need a high end system but I don't want a bottom barrel one either. I like the S3300 for the price and features (maybe a good bargain?) but are the other ones far superior that for the little bit more money it makes it a no brainer to get another one? Any comments, pros, cons or things I should consider would be appreciated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm kinda doing the same research right now. From those options I would say that the DHT-591BA is the best under this budget. I'm considering buying one of this.

But maybe spending a little bit more and as you said "good sound for years to come" I would also consider to buy a speaker set like RC-Micro 5.1 that can be found for about ~399 and a receiver like Yamaha V567 or Denon 1611, both has 7.1 capability and 3D which you might be interested for future. If you don't wanna 3D the RX-V565 can be found for under ~300.

These options would cost around ~700 to ~800 but might worth the investment if you budget allows. Other than that I would buy the 591BA

Well I'm not an expert (actually far from that) this is the information I could get surfing the web for a couple of days this week

·
Registered
314 Posts
consider the Onkyo ht-s6300 as it has a better receiver than the 5300 though if you only need /want 5.1 surround then there are some better receivers out there to choose from..... 7.1 will limit your choices a lot in the low dollar budget

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am only looking for a 5.x system but would get a 7.x system if it would be a no brainer for the price/quality.

Would it be better to get a speaker set separate from the receiver and still stay under $600? I would prefer to get an all in one box set for the convince

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
A separate set of speakers + comparable Onkyo/Denon receiver would most likely sound better, depending on which speakers you got (most would probably exceed the Onkyo/Denon branded ones.)

You would also probably find a 5.1 set and use with a 7.1 receiver (the better ones are the 7.1 and above models) and then you wouldn't have to mess with two extra speakers that the HTIB would probably have.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
They'll be comparable to similarly priced Onkyos and Denons. IMO, these systems are way more alike than they are different. The Denon DHT-591BA has the Boston Acoustic speakers, which are a step above most other HTIB speakers, but they're not like mindblowingly better.

Go to each website, look at the ones in your price range, and see what features you want. Get the system that fits your needs and budget, and have fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts