AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main question is how well do the pre outs work on Onkyo receivers. I've read that some other receivers equipped w/ pre outs do not work well or have issues due to not having enough voltage to the outs. I'm not necessarily concerned w/ using the receiver (Onkyo 707) as a pre/pro. At most I would use an external amp(s) from the front L/C/R.

It's almost time to upgrade to a new receiver. My old Pioneer has just about had it. I almost pulled the trigger on the Onkyo HT-RC160 earlier today. It has a really nice feature set, but I'm a bit worried about the watts per channel rating. I'm concerned that with driving all 5 channels, it's going knock the wattage per channel down to 40 or less.

I'm not really all that concerned with that issue for watching movies, but I do listen to a lot of music and I do tend to listen at high decibel volumes, so I would like to have a lot of clean power on tap for at least the front 2/3 channels.

The new Onkyo SR-TX707 should be hitting stores soon and the specs say that it will have pre outs for all 7.2 channels and I'm guessing that it will be in the $500 to $600 range, which will work out perfectly for me.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I use an Onkyo 805 as a pre/pro with a Sunfire Cinema Grand 200x5 amp in my family room, and an Onkyo 876 as a pre/pro with a Sunfire Signature Seven 400x7 amp in my theater room setup. Both amps are set for signal-level power on, and I've never had a problem with either setup.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/16971214

I use an Onkyo 805 as a pre/pro with a Sunfire Cinema Grand 200x5 amp in my family room, and an Onkyo 876 as a pre/pro with a Sunfire Signature Seven 400x7 amp in my theater room setup. Both amps are set for signal-level power on, and I've never had a problem with either setup.

Awesome! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! Now to start shopping for power amps in my budget!

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Furious One /forum/post/16971265

Awesome! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! Now to start shopping for power amps in my budget!

I have pre-amped out my 805 to 7 Outlaw 2200 monoblocks for 2 years without any problems at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/16971214

Is it night and day different with the separate amps vs the Onkyo 805 built in amps?

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrne /forum/post/16972179

Is it night and day different with the separate amps vs the Onkyo 805 built in amps?

That's a difficult question to answer. My "night and day" may be totally undetectable to someone else. However, I got the Cinema Grand first, and obviously I thought it was "night and day" enough to snag the Signature Seven. I think a lot of it depends on your expectations, as well as what speakers you use. I have Definitive Technology systems in both of my setups (see my profile), which range in efficiency from about 88-91dB, so pretty much anything will drive them. However, with more power, they just seem to open up more, and simply have more presence throughout the range. Additionally, I run my theater at reference levels much of the time, and with the dynamics that a lot of BD's and HD-DVD's reveal, I never really have to worry about having the headroom in my amp to handle the peaks. Lastly, it decreases the load on the receiver itself, which I use to power a second zone in both setups (one upstairs and one downstairs). So for me, it was a worthwhile enough investment to go with outboard amps.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrne /forum/post/16972179

Not in any properly controlled test!

Anyone posting differently is full of subjectivity and tend to exaggerate because they do not do the right tests.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Furious One /forum/post/16971180

I almost pulled the trigger on the Onkyo HT-RC160 earlier today. It has a really nice feature set, but I'm a bit worried about the watts per channel rating. I'm concerned that with driving all 5 channels, it's going knock the wattage per channel down to 40 or less.

Budget Onkyos consistently bench test at 80+WPC with 5 channels driven.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.