AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. After months of trolling and research I am ready to buy the TH42PD50U.

The only question I don't have answered is whether or not it is a good idea to buy online or if I should stick to a local store. The price differential is substantial with several online places quoting

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Many posts on this subject. The consensus (as you might expect from an online forum) is to go with the online dealers. Savings vs. a local B&M store are usually substantial, as you have noted - especially when you take local taxes into account.

For both B&M and online dealers, any warranty service will be provided by Panasonic, except in rare instances where the plasma is DOA and the B&M store might provide an instant replacement. (Most online stores will also replace a DOA unit, but you may have to pay some shipping costs and it may take a few days.)

Most online sales are for Panasonic's "commercial" plasmas, which have a "carry-in" warranty rather than on-site service. You have to deliver or ship the unit to one of the half-dozen or so Panasonic Service Centers, which are scattered throughout the country.

BTW, if you are purchasing with a premium credit card or an Amex card, the CC company will often provide a one year warranty extension, free of charge. Check your Cardmembers' Agreement.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I bought my LCD TV locally. I had actually ordered and cancelled it from an online retailer prior to doing so. Many of the online ARE too good to be true. In my case the company lied about having the TV in stock. In the end I managed to save money by buying locally. The deals are there, you just need to find them.

I think if anyone could buy locally as cheaply as online, they would buy locally every time.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I had the same thoughts you did. But when I finally pulled the trigger I did it at a local brick and mortar. Why u ask. Well it turned out that I felt it better if I had a problem especiallly during the first 30 days to make a local call and have the unit picked up and replaced in short order without any cost or hassle to me. And the price I paid was better than the online listed price, the store manager saw to that. So one happy camper here. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I went local just a few minutes ago. I have 30 days and will reconsider the online option during that time.

Great feedback and thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.