Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I am getting more and more interested by Plasma screens and am now seriously considering buying one. I have a good knowledge of the technology but don't know much about what are the best brands and models.

As I don't want to bore this forum with such a basic question. I like to have recommendations on good (i.e reliable!) online reviews.

Thanks in advance,

AC

PS:

For the ones who are not bored to death and want to recommend a model directly: I am looking for a 50" or 42" HD capable screen mostly for DVD viewing, cable TV and possibly gaming.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Now wait a minute there Mr. extrapster.

You can't make a decision THAT fast. If you want to be a part of this forum you'll have to research your decision in agonizing detail, for months, years...

until your wife threatens divorce unless you make a decision.

If your brain doesn't hurt from all the choices, your butt doesn't hurt from sitting through months of archived arguments over which plasma is best, and your significant other still likes you....well, sir, you are not allowed to buy a plasma.

:)

Rich H.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I totally agee.Ive been on this site for about two weeks nonstop.Ive chosen a 50 then went to 42 then 43 and every panny and pioneer and now maybe sony have been keeping me up nights.God help you i hope you make a decision soon or you will end up like me

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rich,

I was expecting an answer like that! ;-)

In fact, I did spend a long time to go through multiple reviews and go see the real thing at different shops.

In took me an especially long time because I was looking to get a LCD/DLP projector! But, in spite of the rave reviews, I have never found the image generated by these technologies really good (in addition to that setting up a projector is a bit cumbersome).

After that I started to look at Plasma monitors. I was immediately blown away by the picture quality (especially the Panasonic ones)!

So, I guess I will be soon the happy owner of a Plasma monitor!

AC

PS:

This list is great. It is rare to see knowledgeable AND humorous peoples!

·
Registered
891 Posts
PS:

This list is great. It is rare to see knowledgeable AND humorous peoples! [/b][/quote]

Yep, we just have it all here! :D

You need to make a list! Most people consider price and screen size, but you should compile equal factors of this and also take into consideration warranty information, for example: In Home? Not In Home and upgradeability factors? With video cards, without video cards.

Also make a list of percentages of viewing habits...

Example:

Cable 60%

DVD 30%

Computer 10%

or something like that..

You should visit a few stores before purchasing. What does your wife like? Remember, just because one unit has a higher contrast ratio than another doesen't mean your eyes will not prefer the unit with lower contrast ratio.

For example: I went to store and I know what the specs are and I saw a unit that I had dismissed in my mind and when I saw it the PQ was awesome. One word of caution though when you are viewing plasma's keep in mind what the source is, and how they have it hooked up, I relate it to a bowling handicapp, you have to take THAT into consideration when trying to make comparisions.

Go with what appeals to you in price, screen size and in person. I've seen so many cases where Plasma peer pressure has resulted in the wrong model for people's needs. Don't be one of them!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.