AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried all my local fabric stores for 110" blackout cloth, no go. 54" was widest I could find. I want to build a 8' by 6' screen therefore the need for the wider cloth. Any sources.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi, don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for as far as material goes, but I was just on here looking for input and saw your post. Here is a website where I purchased blackout curtain liners. got them friday and they work well for blackout of ambient light, but not sure if it is the material you are looking for in a screen. But here is the link and good luck.
http://www.wdrake.com/shop/list.cfm?criteria=blackout

Bill

·
Registered
102 Posts
one thing i remembered after I posted, I got an 80"x80" from them, it comes in 2 pieces. won't be much good for screen, but maybe they have bigger pieces that would work. good luck, let me know how it goes

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have seen some blackout cloth 'screens' available on Ebay that are ~100" square. You might try looking there if you have trouble finding a better source.

Ryan

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ryan, I am trying to find blackout cloth or screen on ebay, no luck, do you remember what search parameters you put in?

thanks

Bill

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the e-bay material is 110" by 54" for 16:9 screens. I want to make a 4:3 screen therefore I need 80" by 110".

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mr Mago, I got an email back, they say you can order custom sizes you want, see cut and paste email below. Let me know how it goes, I am in the same situation.

Sure you can order custom sizes.

> 80"X110" is just over 2 yards so if you goto my website

> www.eztheater.com you can order 2 yards. If you order just add a note

that

> it should be 80" not 72" and I'll adjust the order without charging

anything

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I was thinking of this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1499

There are probably others if you look around in other catagories.

I was considering making a 6x8 blackout screen to go with a panasonic 75u. I would prefer to paint a flat sheet of something with one of the various DIY paint mixtures, but other than the parkland material at 5x10, I haven't successfully found any sheets bigger than 4x8.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is the problem I also had. I would prefer a solid surface but nothing solid comes wider than 4 feet. I guess you could use drywall and plaster the seem but that gets heavy and seems unless done very well become very visible on the screen. Any suggestions for seems to join 1/4" board?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Assayer, that should work. I just left a guys house who has the Sony Cineza 10, I wanted to preview it. Pic was awesome for a projector of this price range. He has done nothing more than buy blackout cloth and make a screen. If he was to paint it just a little grey would have improved, but overall it was very good pic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.