AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so we all want to know what is the best 5.1-7.1 system for X dollars. I keep reading about companies like Axiom, DCM, Outlaw and the other usual suspects that have some highly reviewed system setups that the online audio site just rave about. Is all that high praise real, or are they getting something in return for such reviews?

I've been a fan from afar of Axiom for many years, and Outlaw use to be all the rage on here several years ago. Since it is hard for most of us to listen to such speakers, what can we really do?

I don't want to buy speakers, keep them for a month to test them, and then have to possibly return them, and then start the process all over.

It seems one can save a good amount of money buying direct. So should we listen to the hype and buy site unseen (or unlistened)? I've heard B&W, Paradigm and the usual crew of speakers. Can these direct online companies really compete and provide the same level of quality and sound?

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I don't want to buy speakers, keep them for a month to test them, and then have to possibly return them, and then start the process all over. ??? Why wouldn't you want to listen to the speakers in your own environment? Some ID companies pay shipping both ways so you can do this and then make your decision.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brown, I know trust me, no one gets out alive. My point is, there are a lot of options, and a lot of people here with some experience with speakers and stuff. I'm just trying to tap into some of that and make a solid decision.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I own the Ascend Sierra's and 170's which I bought about a month ago. I'm not an audiophile but the reviews of these speakers are accurate and I really like them.

I went to the shop in So. Cal. when I was there last month hoping to get a listen before buying but they didnt have a listening room set up but did see and talk to Sal who puts them together.

Before that, my first speaker purchase was from The Speaker Company. I didn't realize how much I liked those speakers until I sold them for Infinity's which I did not care for, and this was after hearing the Infinity's at Fry's where they sounded better than they did at my house.

With the Infinity's, it was the PC350 center that I really did not like. While waiting for that to arrive from Crutchfield, I had the TSC center with the Infinity's and although they were sonically different (alot), I liked the way that sounded, the center was warm and the towers brighter.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer1370 /forum/post/18282446

Ok so we all want to know what is the best 5.1-7.1 system for X dollars. I keep reading about companies like Axiom, DCM, Outlaw and the other usual suspects that have some highly reviewed system setups that the online audio site just rave about. Is all that high praise real, or are they getting something in return for such reviews?

I've been a fan from afar of Axiom for many years, and Outlaw use to be all the rage on here several years ago. Since it is hard for most of us to listen to such speakers, what can we really do?

I don't want to buy speakers, keep them for a month to test them, and then have to possibly return them, and then start the process all over.

It seems one can save a good amount of money buying direct. So should we listen to the hype and buy site unseen (or unlistened)? I've heard B&W, Paradigm and the usual crew of speakers. Can these direct online companies really compete and provide the same level of quality and sound?

Many ID companies have online forums and those that don't often have a large enough user base on places like here. So, one thing you can do if you're interested in listening to them is to join their forums and make a post asking if there's someone near your geographical area who would be willing to let you come over and give them a listen. Don't forget to bring pizza and beer.

·
Premium Member
7,265 Posts
I have owned many speakers over the years both ID and B&M. The ID typically give you the best value. Bookshelves, in particular, are not expensive to ship and thus are easy to try in your environment (the best place to make your decision). Brands I have heard are Axiom, Ascend, Outlaw, Hsu, Onix and Aperion. They all have a different flavor. Based on your preferences and requirements folks here can direct you to a couple of brands that will probably fill the bill.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
I would not pay much attention to what tonygeno says as he is a Red Sox fan which probably means he has a mustard stained Yaz jersey somewhere laying around.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
ID brands are every bit as good as B&M brands. Your ear will decide which speaker is for you. I have heard Ascend, Axiom, Aperion, HSU, SVS, Orb, and several others and they all have their strengths and weaknesses just like any other.

·
Premium Member
7,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/18284078

I would not pay much attention to what tonygeno says as he is a Red Sox fan which probably means he has a mustard stained Yaz jersey somewhere laying around.

Sans the Fenway Frank, of course.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Hey, I saw Yaz play as a kid at Fenway. There was one game I remember against the Yankees where the folks there didn't think Yaz ran fast enough to 1st base (it was obvious he was going to get thrown out) and they booed him. Man, I didn't like that one bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts