AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows of an online store that sells speakers to Canadians and don't completely spoil the deal with the shipping? I just have a hard time paying shipping that is 40-60% of the price of the speakers. I see some suggestions like:

http://www.wwstereo.com/default.aspx..._-1__0_0_0_-1/ shipping=$223.75 (~60%)

http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html shipping=$117.90 (~40%)

Trying to buy a surround system or build one from separates and want to put my money towards speakers not shipping.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You might want to try www.axiomaudio.com

They are a Canadian speaker company based out of Dwight Ontario and sells only by internet. They have a 30 day money back guarantee so you can audition their systems.

Axiom well respected company in this forum and many others out there. Axiom makes very decent speakers at a variety of price points. Try calling them and speak to Noreen. She is a very nice lady and will gladly help you with your requirements.

It took 7 years to build, but I have the following:

FL/FR: M22 v2

C: VP100

SL/SR: QS8

BL/BR: M2 v2.

These are very accurate speakers and I couldn't be happier with them.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Halifax Nova Scotia. That's about a 19 hour drive each way to Niagara Falls. As much as I wish I could forgo the shipping charges and pick them up I wouldn't be able to.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjeyin /forum/post/17036881

You might want to try www.axiomaudio.com

They are a Canadian speaker company based out of Dwight Ontario and sells only by internet. They have a 30 day money back guarantee so you can audition their systems.

Axiom well respected company in this forum and many others out there. Axiom makes very decent speakers at a variety of price points. Try calling them and speak to Noreen. She is a very nice lady and will gladly help you with your requirements.

It took 7 years to build, but I have the following:

FL/FR: M22 v2

C: VP100

SL/SR: QS8

BL/BR: M2 v2.

These are very accurate speakers and I couldn't be happier with them.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Axioms look like nice speakers. Obviously I'd have to build my system over a couple years if I buy speakers in that price range. They must be a different league than the Fluance speakers which seem to be considered a good budget speaker. Would I start with a couple bookshelves and a sub or go with mains and a center?

I was also wondering how those M22's do as mains? What size room would be too big for them?

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorm /forum/post/17038016

Axioms look like nice speakers. Obviously I'd have to build my system over a couple years if I buy speakers in that price range. They must be a different league than the Fluance speakers which seem to be considered a good budget speaker. Would I start with a couple bookshelves and a sub or go with mains and a center?

I was also wondering how those M22's do as mains? What size room would be too big for them?

Fluance looks like they build pretty descent speakers at an attractive price point. I can't speak to Fluance as I've never heard them myself, but I see people who own them are generally happy with them. If you are fine with it, use the 30-day money-back guarantee that Fluance or Axiom provides to audition two or three systems and see which one sounds good to you (keep in mind that you are likely to be responsible for shipping costs to send them back).

As for my system, I started out with the M3s and a cheap sub. I then sold the M3s two years later and got the M22s instead. The VP100s came in a year later after the M22s, then the QS8s a few years later, and finally the M2s for the BL/BR.

I went with the M22s as it seemed to integrate better with the sub due to its more linear frequency distribution (I was told by Noreen at Axiom that the M3s have a frequency "hump" in the 90 - 110 Hz region and as such may work better without a sub).

To answer your question, from my experience it depends on your room size. My room measures 10' x 18' x 8'. On two channels, the M22s provide more than enough oomph. Floorstander/Towers are typically full ranging, meant for large/great rooms and you may not require a sub. For a small living room the M2s plus sub may be sufficient for your needs (the only difference between the M22 and the M2 are the two woofers on the M22s. Other than that, they both use the same tweeter and woofer size, that's why they both have near identical frequency distributions). Try calling Axiom to inquire about speakers and room sizes.

BTW, all my speakers were purchased from Axiom's Factory Outlet store ( http://www.axiomaudio.com/factoryoutlet.html ) for a 10% discount from their brand new models. I've yet to find any visual imperfections about them.

I don't mean to push Axiom as in the end, it's what sounds good to you. I'm only speaking with what I've got and the experience I have.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andrew

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice Andrew. My head is starting hurt looking at speakers all day.

I would like to be able to get some towers, those Axioms one are a bit pricey though. My new apartment is going to be pretty open and has fairly large living room, probably 25'x12' with a dining room separated by a half wall beside it and a large hallway probably 7'. I spent a fair chunk of my budget on my receiver (Denon 790 $520 CAD, steep I know) because I wanted all the feature and so I wouldn't be buying a new one in 3 years.

Is there another brand comparable to Axiom that might be a little bit more in my price range? Two M50's and a VP100 would set me $1117 +tax (-10% if I went seconds) which could be hard to swallow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here's something you might want to consider. My system used to be on my main floor, where the living room joins up with thedining room and the kitchen. My floors on the main floor are also hardwood. I moved my whole system to its current location in the basement (carpet, lots of books and storage material) when my daughter was born.

Since the move, I noticed a vast improvement in the overall sound quality (less harsh) going from the main floor to the basement. I attribute this to the better acoustics in the basement (more sound deadening materials, soft carpet) compared to the main floor (lots of reflective surfaces, echoey, higher ceilings). Long and short is that if your place has lots of hardwood/echoey/reflective surfaces, you might be better served by "warmer" electronics or less "forward" sounding speakers.

Andrew

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf /forum/post/17042531

NOTHING IS FREE.

The companies who 'do not charge shipping' have the price of shipping factored in the price of the speakers.

Exactly! So a site like World Wide Stereo that I mentioned in my first post offers free shipping in the US but to ship it to me they charge an additional $223. This makes me feel like I'm paying for the shipping cost twice; I don't know maybe I'm crazy.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorm /forum/post/17035712

I was wondering if anyone knows of an online store that sells speakers to Canadians and don't completely spoil the deal with the shipping? I just have a hard time paying shipping that is 40-60% of the price of the speakers. I see some suggestions like:

http://www.wwstereo.com/default.aspx..._-1__0_0_0_-1/ shipping=$223.75 (~60%)

http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html shipping=$117.90 (~40%)

Trying to buy a surround system or build one from separates and want to put my money towards speakers not shipping.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Just buy Canadian speakers. I did...and I live in Florida.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey just figured I'd update this thread. I decided to go with a pair of Axiom M22's for my mains and a SVS PB12-NSD subwoofer (the girlfriend didn't much like the price of the M60's, she'll find out about the SVS a some point I guess). Just going to build on my system from there. Didn't get any off them yet, but I can't wait to get it all set up. After all the reading I've done on here I figured I'd go with higher quality speaker/sub rather than getting a cheaper full package.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks for updating if you get the time please post your impressions of your setup when you get it. Far to often people let these threads die w/o any resolution so they become sort of useless to anyone who finds it later and is interested in doing something similar. I think you made a good call to build your system up rather than going cheaper to do it all at once.

Cheers,

Dean

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt11 /forum/post/17133373

Thanks for updating if you get the time please post your impressions of your setup when you get it. Far to often people let these threads die w/o any resolution so they become sort of useless to anyone who finds it later and is interested in doing something similar. I think you made a good call to build your system up rather than going cheaper to do it all at once.

Cheers,

Dean

Will Do Dean.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorm /forum/post/17132870

Hey just figured I'd update this thread. I decided to go with a pair of Axiom M22's for my mains and a SVS PB12-NSD subwoofer (the girlfriend didn't much like the price of the M60's, she'll find out about the SVS a some point I guess). Just going to build on my system from there. Didn't get any off them yet, but I can't wait to get it all set up. After all the reading I've done on here I figured I'd go with higher quality speaker/sub rather than getting a cheaper full package.

Ohhhh.....an SVS PB12-NSD.....my mouth is salivating!!!! Really, I've had my eye on that one to replace my el-cheapo JBL es150p. As I also have M22 fronts, I'd really really like to know how the M22s work with the SVS.

By the way, congratulations on your purchase. I agree with grunt11. It is far better to build up a system over several years using the components you really want, rather than going all out with a limited budget. Do you know when the speakers are expected to arrive?

Please please do give us your impressions of the M22s, either here, or in the Official Axiom thread! I'd also let them break-in for a few hours or so at a moderate volume (I actually reversed the polarity of one speaker, had the two speakers facing each other, threw a heavy blanket on top, and had some tunes going in on repeat until I came home from work. Reversing the polarity of one speaker essentially cancels the sound from either speaker, resulting in near silence, even at moderate to high volume!)

Also, do keep in mind that you're in no way obligated to keep the M22s. If you don't like them, send them back before 30 days. But again, please let us know your take on the M22s.

Again, congratulations!

Good luck,

Andrew

·
Registered
236 Posts
You know, as a Canadian, I did not know we had so many decent or good speaker makers here. WOW, very impressed with that. Sorry, off topic, but thought it was very cool.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Yeah, but most are B&M, Axiom is the only canadian ID company I know of... Still ended up purchasing speakers from USA though... Even if there's a lot of canadian speaker manufacturers, the best bang for the buck is often in USA buying ID.

In the end, the difference in shipping is not that huge, just brokerage sucks, warranty issues might cost more, but I personally would like to see lower prices and more alternatives north of the border.

But Axiom is definitely a highly regarded canadian speaker company, congrats on the purchase and enjoy!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts