AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sony KD-34XBR2 HDTV. I've been trying for two months to get either Windows or my HiPix to display high-def on the Sony via the ext. component input. I have both straight-thru DB15-to-Component cables (for the HiPix YPbPr mode) and a KeyDigital RGB-to-YPbPr converter (for VGA/RGB passthrough).

I can get 480p (HiPix), 640x480, and 858x480 to display ok. I can also get 1280x720 to display (using PowerStrip's pre-programmed "720p HDTV" mode) but it's massively overscanned, something. In other words, it syncs-up and is legible but a huge section of border is off-screen. I tried using the Powerstrip adjustments to shrink the screen but it loses sync well before I get it all to display.

So, now I'm wondering if the Sony is treating this "720p" signal as a 480p signal, causing the overscan?

Also, I've tried -- without success -- to get either 720p or 1080i(directly from the HiPix in YPbPr mode) or 1920x1080i (using the Powerstrip pre-programmed mode).

Again, this is making me think that the external component inputs only accept 480p. Does any one else know how to confirm or deny this?

Thank you!

- Tony in San Diego

·
Registered
286 Posts
The component inputs will take 1080i. I feed my Dish 6000 into it. I also feed my 480p signal from a DVD player into the inputs. There has been some discussion regarding what it does with 720p OTA signals on this forum.

I would check with the vendor of the HiPix(?) regarding the problem first. Chances of contacting someone at Sony are nil.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I realize this post is months old, but I am having the same problem. The only resolution I got the KD-34xbr2 to accept is 640x480 or 720x480. I have a Voodoo5 and a vga-component transducer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just downloaded Powerstrip 3.15 this week and bought the VGA to Component (Y-Pb-Pr) Converter w/ VGA Loop-through (KD-VTCA2 @ http://www.digitalconnection.com/Ho...ter/kdvtca2.htm ). Anyway after playing with the custom resolutions in powerstrip and playing around with the dip switches on the converter I got my 34XBR2 to display 1280x720 (720p) and 1920x1080 (1080i). You have to play around with the settings in Powerstrip quite a bit to get it right. You also have to be patient with the dip switches on the converter and play around to get it right. The dip switches need to be adjsuted for different types of output (720 vs 1080) - but I got both reoslutions to dipslay CRYSTAL CLEAR on the 34XBR2 using INPUT 5. Let me know if anybody else had problems.

I have a 64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX video card and it rocks. I saw no need to buy the HiPix HDTV Card since - the 34XBR2 has an HDTV tuner built in. True I can't record HDTV witht hat tuner - but HDTV signals eat up WAAA too much storage.

Which brings me to my question - Since my current video card can display and out put of 1920x1080 - if I had an HDTV video clip on a JAZ disk or something could I play it on my computer? Does anyone have a clip I could test out?

I played some anamorphic DVDs using winDVD under the 720p resolution and it was every bit as clear as my Sony Progerssive Scan DVD Player plugged into input 6!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
could you post the settings you are using in powerstrip? I have the audio authority vga-component and it doesnt have any switches, i have been playing around for a while and still can't get 720 or 1080 resolutions. thanks in advance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.