AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used a Sony RDR-GX7 to record five different titles on the same DVD-R. This plays fine on an old (4 years or so) DVD player I have upstairs.

Last night I bought a Quest SE minivan with the entertainment system. When I play the aforementioned DVD, there are no titles listed on the menu. I can play the first title (even that doesn't show up on the title menu) but the others are inaccessible - nothing on the title menu and I can't jump to the next title when playing the first). I assumed that the DVD I got in the minivan would support DVD-R just fine (hey - it's brand new, as compared to my old DVD player).

Any idea on what the problem might be?

Mark

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
sounds like the minivan's DVD player doesn't like the way the discs multiple sessions were recorded. I have had this problem with some older CD ROM drives and CD in which the data was burned in multiple sessions. Could only see and access what was recorded the first time.

The only way I found to solve this problem was to take it to a CD player that could read it and re-record the CD in a single session.

Might be a solution to try if you have a DVD recorder on your PC.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I didn't expect state of the art on the minivan but it's a pretty nice entertainment system (as built-in car systems go) and it really surprises me that something so basic would be a problem. The fact that I have that 4+ year DVD player upstairs playing this DVD just fine really kinda bites!

Sadly, I don't have a PC-based recorder so I may be stuck.

Does anyone know technically how a title menu on a "home made" DVD differs from a commercial DVD? Obviously my minivan has no problem with those.

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
other than the way the DVD is physically pressed together (each layer), there are several other differences.

Commericial DVD's are not burned but each layer is created and pressed together on a "disc"

Does the Sony create both the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders? If not, that may also be the problem. I know the Panasonic E80 only creates the VIDEO_TS folder :(

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure. I returned the Sony last week but have a bunch of DVD's with episodes of various shows (only the first of which actually plays in my minivan).

I am eager to understand this issue because I will be back in the market for a DVD Recorder later this year and having a recorder that can play well in my minivan will be a significant factor for me. In fact, I'd love to know if any existing recorders fix this issue.

Mark

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by sivartk
Does the Sony create both the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders? If not, that may also be the problem. I know the Panasonic E80 only creates the VIDEO_TS folder :(
Sivartk,

Can you educate me a little on these two folders? I am trying to find out whether some DVD Recorders will handle this well. Being able to record multiple programs from TV and play them in our minivan is very important - to the extent that it will be a significant factor in our busying decision (for the recorder). So, any additional information you (or anyone else) would have would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
There's a wealth of knowledge on www.dvdrhelp.com. Lots of articles, 'how-to' guides, and user forums.

Its a good place to start for the basics of DVD authoring, file structures, formats, etc.

BTW....I just tried a DVD with multiple movies recorded onto a DVD-R and it plays fine (menus, movies, etc) on my family's new minivan rear entertainment system. The DVD-R was recorded on a Panasonic e50 DVD recorder and it plays fine in our new Toyota Sienna's entertainment system.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Steve. I am really hoping that the issue is with the Sony (since I have since returned that). I won't be getting a new minivan for this problem :) I have spent some time searching DVDHelp but not yet found anything that would explain this. The Quest Entertainment seems pretty impressive overall - I'd be surprised (and REALLY disappointed) if it's DVD player can't handle multiple titles on the same DVD.

Thanks again.

Mark

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Any idea who makes the DVD player in the Quest?

Yah, I'd be pissed if my $42K+ minivan didn't play these discs either. But, I gotta tell ya, the Panny doesn't make "standard" DVD's. Like sivartk says about his e80, my Panny e50 only creates a Video_TS folder (no Audio_TS folder). So I gotta think its the player in the minivan. So you need to find a recorder that includes the Audio_TS folder (or you'll have to re-author on a PC-based recorder).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I was well short of $42k (got a great deal) but, yeah, I'm pissed :) It never crossed my mind that my old player would trump the player in the minivan.

I truly hope the problem is at the recorder but I'm not holding out much hope.

Mark

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by markwill
Well, I was well short of $42k (got a great deal) but, yeah, I'm pissed :) It never crossed my mind that my old player would trump the player in the minivan.

I truly hope the problem is at the recorder but I'm not holding out much hope.

Mark
Mark...

Costco (store) has the Philips DVDR 72 for $350....it uses DVD+R and DVD+RW disks (no hard drive)...Philips recorder has both Video_TS and Audio_TS folders...Costco does not have a time limit if you have to return it.

Just a thought...

Hope you find that it was the Sony recorder and not the DVD player in your Van.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I had read here that some commercial DVDs don't have the Audio_TS folder. Maybe you should check your collection and see if you have such a DVD and if it will play in your minivan. This might not be the problem at all. Did you finalize the disc? I assumed you had since you have partial success and it played o.k. in another player.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
xortam,

Yes, these were finalized correctly. I'll search around for a commercial DVD as you suggest but I certainly hope that any commercial DVD will play OK. I am pretty disappointed as it is - I'd expect a lot of Quest owners would be upset if some commercial DVD's had also had missing content on their player.

Thanks again.

Mark (still holding out hope that the problem is with the recorder!!!).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally posted by dvder
Mark...

Costco (store) has the Philips DVDR 72 for $350....it uses DVD+R and DVD+RW disks (no hard drive)...Philips recorder has both Video_TS and Audio_TS folders...Costco does not have a time limit if you have to return it.

Just a thought...

Hope you find that it was the Sony recorder and not the DVD player in your Van.
Thanks for the reply. Having recently returned my Sony (and spent FAR too much on the minivan - although I am in love with the thing!!!), I am waiting till the summer before I buy another DVD Recorder. In terms of overall features and pictures quality, I am hoping that the new Sony machines do the trick (basically, very much like the RDR-GX7 but taking advantage of a hard disk). However, if this issue turns out to be recorder-specific then this issue with the minivan will be a big factor for me in selecting my new recorder.

BTW, my wife was at Costco last week and had to wait in a LONG line will a women returned a tent - that she bought in 1997. They took it! Nice for her but I think that's pretty silly. Putting (say) a one year limit would appear to me to be perfectly reasonable.

Mark

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In a related vein, does either -RW or +RW have any backwards compatibility with regular players (as opposed to recorders which can write to these formats)?

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
My sony (new) can play the +RW format (haven't tried -RW) and so does my cousins (realtively new) Magnavox. If you have a player in mind, try dvdrhelp.com and click on DVD players and do a search. Those are user comments and most of the time right on the money.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
You didn't say what brand media you're using. I've got an Alpine 6 DVD changer in my Denali. I had similar issues playing Memorex DVD-Rs in it. I switched to Maxell and Samsung Be-Alls and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally posted by mrwilson
You didn't say what brand media you're using. I've got an Alpine 6 DVD changer in my Denali. I had similar issues playing Memorex DVD-Rs in it. I switched to Maxell and Samsung Be-Alls and haven't had a problem since.
Interesting. I have been using TDK. I'll try out different media when I get a chance (you have given me a ray of hope :)).

BTW, I found out today that the DVD player in the minivan is manufactered by Panasonic. Not sure which model yet - plan to call them tomorrow to see if I can get more details.

Thanks again.

Mark

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK - a little more news on this. I have a friend who has a Pioneer/Tivo DVD Recorder (can't recall the model number offhand). Anyway, he recorded a multi-title DVD-R in that and handed it to me. Worked fine. Even better, he also recorded a movie on a DVD-RW (which is what I REALLY want, for obvious reasons). Again, worked fine...

So, that's excellent news. I have returned my Sony RDR-GX7 but it does look like the problem is at that end, rather than the DVD player than came with my Quest. So, I am a bit more upbeat today!!!

This will be high on the list of features I test when I splash out for my DVD Recorder in the spring/summer (I am still favoring the Sony, due to the fantastic picture quality - we'll see).

Thanks again.

Mark

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.