Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm new to this forum and new to HDTV or soon will be. I recently retired from my company and managed to get a little separation incentive. I decided to treat myself to a reasonably good HDTV Television and home theater setup. Since I'll be basically living on a retirement income and I'll never get another separation bonus I don't want to wind up sorry I didn't buy something else. I have read through the posts and picked up what I could but I'd feel better asking my questions directly so please bear with me while I ramble.

I have for no special reason other than I have a 19" Sony trinitron that I bought in 1981 that is still running, never been in the shop and is delivering a decent picture in my home office. 6-7 years ago I bought a rear projection KP-53V25 rear projection that I have not been overly impressed with but it wasn't an expensive set. 4 years ago I picked up a Sony KV-20F512 for the bedroom and it has also been a decent set.

I'd really like to jump into plasma with both feet but the cost of initiation for something over 50" or 50" for that matter is still a little too rich for my blood. A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to see a Sony 50" plasma displayed next to a Sony 60XBR950 LCD projection in a "general" display area not in a darkened media room.

Both were being fed a Discovery HD signal and I must have spent an hour looking at the two sets, changing channels etc. To my older eyes I couldn't discern much of a difference and at times thought the 950 actually produced a more vibrant picture. I got a little excited about the prospects of finding an affordable HDTV, in a larger format that included two tuners, multiple inputs and a sound system.

I have gotten the price down to $4800. Now my question to this group is: Is the 60XBR950 as good a set as I seem to think it is or is the something else out there in the $5000 range that I need to look into before I plunk down my dollars?

This is off the main topic but I'm also looking at the Sony SAT HD300 receiver but there seems to be some issues with these. Is the Sony the way to go or will the other LG models do just as well or do they have the same issues?

I'm also looking to replace my low end JVC unit with something maybe in the low end ES series or will the set itself provide a good sound experience? Remember I'm not an audiophile or a videophile just someone who wants a better than average home movie going experience and HDTV viewing.

Thanks for your help

Kerry

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Also consider a 61" Samsung DLP. See the link to Samsung HLN in my signature.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have the 60XBR950 and the HD300 using my 5 year old Sony DA80ES Receiver coupled with B&W speakers and I couldn't be happier with it. The xbr has good sound for what it is, but it won't compete with a 5.1 (or more)receiver set up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.