AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a sony davdz840k all in one HT it support dolby digital and dts 5.1,i recently bought a tatasky dth hybrid 4k android set top box.and i connected an optical to my hometheater for sound and hdmi to tv for video,every time switch on settop box my HT reciever shows dolby digital in display but once the set top box came to home screen dolby digital automatically change to prologic.my settopbox audio out settings shows surround sound will automaticaly selected as my reciever reports.
when tried to connect rca cable for video sound is ok with dolby digital .but only youtube is giving visual all ott apps and vlc player shows no video only audio.if use hdmi arc its also showing prologic .is there solution i can use hdmi as video optical for audio with dolby digital decoder

·
Registered
201 Posts
Optical can only carry dolby in bitstream format. You have to set the source format to be bitstream and not PCM. Optical can only carry 2 channel pcm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Optical can only carry dolby in bitstream format. You have to set the source format to be bitstream and not PCM. Optical can only carry 2 channel pcm.
but my android box have no sound output option in settings box backside printed as dolby digital icon so its support that.but when i check in sound settings it show only auto or disable surround.its android 9 is there any developer settings that i have to enable?
as i mentioned above when i switch on android box the reciever display showing dolby digital without a display in tv,if plug my hdmi to tv dolby digital symbol change to prologic automatically.thats what i dont understand

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm just having a look at the specifications for your Sony HTIB. It looks pretty old (not sure how old?), but it only lists standard Dolby Digital and DTS for DVDs, with upscaling to 720p/1080i. Not even blu-ray at 1k resolution, is supported. As you are running a 4k set top box, it may be as simple as compatibility issues, between the STB and the HTIB. 4k, let alone 1k, is not supported by your HTIB and this may be causing the compatibility issues you are experiencing. The HTIB may just be down-sampling the audio signal to something it can understand. Maybe try using a 1.3 HDMI cable (or lower), as a higher spec'd HDMI cable may not be compatible with your HTIB. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
Not quite sure I understand how you have things hooked up, but the handshake over the HDMI connection to the TV may be telling the set top box it only accepts stereo PCM, not DD 5.1. In many cases, the HDMI audio negotiation affects other outputs such as the optical connection to your HTIB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts