AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Im new to this forum and have run in to a very anoying problem that I thought maybe you guys could help me with. I have noticed that this question has been asked before, but I didnt really get an answer from there.

My problem is this:

When I connect an S-video cable from the TV-output on any of my computers graphics cards to a S-video to scart adapter and plug it in to my Sony VPH-1030QM CRT-projector, all I get is a sharp and nice _BUT_ black and white image. My first guess was that the adapter was broken, not really "understanding" that S-video consists of two signals and only adapting one of them. I dont know about that though. The Scart connector (RGB 2) works fine with a VCR or DVD-player with Scart-out and that must be some sort of splitted signal to I guess?

It seems like a strange fault in the projector if that is the problem. Also, my friend that has a brand new widescreen-TV of some known brand also only gets a black and white image when connecting his computer in the same way as I do. Would be strange if his TV was broken to, huh?!

Connecting a composite-cable on the BNC-connector works fine, but I dont like the quality.

Also, when I try to connect a computer via the 9-pin Dsub-connector (RGB 1) I only get flimmer. Seems strange because the projector should handle 32KHz and 100Hz signals in 1500x500. I try to feed it 640x480 (VGA) in about 31,5KHz and 60Hz. Whats the problem? There I also have an adapter from 15-pin Dsub tp 9-pin. I've red that the model should be above a certain series to really have 32KHz and 100Hz, and when I checked the numbers it was above that, it seemed.

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

Your prob is that the projector is only recognising the

input as composite. As SVIDEO has a seperate chrominance

signal, you won't get colour unless the projector is set-up for

SVIDEO. Have a play with the input settings on your projector

and see if that helps.

Mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for that answer! Gives me hope! :)

I wonder what you mean with input settings, though? Do you mean flipping between RGB1/2 and Line-connectors or something? Thats about the only settings I can think of :)

Im really anxious to try now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My projector is an old Seleco projector and has a SCART

inout for RGB and another for SVIDEO, some newer projectors

have a single input that can take either inout and/or composite

and hence you must specify in a menu, or somewhere what

input you are giving it. This is especially true for SCART as it can

be used for RGB, RGBHV, SVIDEO and composite. Have a look

at the manual for your DVD and projector and make sure that

both ends are setup for SVIDEO and you should be right. I

think from your description that the projector end is where

the change needs to be made.

Mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well. That makes sense. I really hope your right! I will have to study the manual more then, but I thought I knew it well already :)

Maybe I should give Sony a call to...

At least In have something to try now. Thanks again!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Diztinct
When I connect an S-video cable from the TV-output on any of my computers graphics cards to a S-video to scart adapter and plug it in to my Sony VPH-1030QM CRT-projector, all I get is a sharp and nice _BUT_ black and white image.

Connecting a composite-cable on the BNC-connector works fine, but I dont like the quality.
I'm sorry, but the vph-1030 does not have a S-Video input. :(

The compisite signal is ugly.

Quote:
Also, when I try to connect a computer via the 9-pin Dsub-connector (RGB 1) I only get flimmer.
This connector works only for ttl digital signals, used in the old grafic cards, before VGA. Nowadays it's no use.

Quote:
Seems strange because the projector should handle 32KHz and 100Hz signals in 1500x500. I try to feed it 640x480 (VGA) in about 31,5KHz and 60Hz. Whats the problem? There I also have an adapter from 15-pin Dsub tp 9-pin. I've red that the model should be above a certain series to really have 32KHz and 100Hz, and when I checked the numbers it was above that, it seemed.
I'm sure that every 1030 after SN 501... can handle 32Khz, but if you exceed this it won't work. 480x60 should be equal to 28,8Khz but you have to consider the porch signals so it comes to 32.

The only ways to feed the projector with this vga signal is via Scart. You have to get a VGA->Scart cable and set your pc to have a composite sync signal or combine the H and V Sync signal with a T connector (or there are extron's adapter that do this).

This will certainly work but remember to set correctly the resolution on your graphic card, the porch signals and the Sync signal.

Then, the best upgrade i can think is just to change the lenses, because Tac-3 lenses have very poor quality. If you buy a set of Hd-6, this set is really amazing for is Q/P ratio.

I hope this was some help ;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi,

I'll just confirm what Bosef has said.

There is NO s-video input on this projector. You can input interlaced rgb (from a european dvd player) into the scart connector AND with a suitable vga to scart adapter you can input a vga signal with composite sync. I use a vga to scart cable (which has the h & v sync cables soldered together on the video pin on the scart plug) for my Skyworth dvd player. It works very well.

Brian.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I really feel that Im getting helped here. Very nice.

Ok, so there is no way of connecting S-video via Scart it seems. Connecting VGA to the scart with soldered adapter seems to be the best alternative then, as you say, Brian. I have to look for one of those cables then.

I just wonder, when the signal is merged like that, doesnt it get a bit like Composite in quality? I guess its better than that.

About those lenses. I think that the quality is good enough for me actually. I have to look into that at a later state :)

If someone knows a webpage with a picture and some info on that VGA to scart cable I would be happy to see it :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Diztinct,

You don't get or use composite... the projector CAN strip sync from a composite signal (eg for interlaced rgb) but it's happy with the combined h and v sync from your computer.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to find any vga to scart cables already made up. A friend made up mine for me using some Belden cable 5 core rgbhv cable. You could cut up a ready made vga to vga cable and solder the r, g and b video (plus grounds) and combined r plus v sync cables onto a scart plug.

Alternately, you might be able to get a cable supplier to make one up for you. In the UK I'd try www.lektropacks.co.uk but you'll probably know somewhere locally.

Brian.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, guys. I think Im gonna try locally then. Very nice! :)

If that doesnt work I can probably fix it myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.