AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

About two years ago we redid our living room and at the time (as a compromise) I went with surround speakers in the ceiling.
This works, but not great, the previous setup (classic surround speakers on a stand) had a lot more surround effects.
This is how the layout is now:

I do not have a sub though so you can ignore #4

A bit of info about the current system:
Amp: Yamaha RX-V 481
surround speakers (#5): B&W CCM382
Fronts (#2): some 20yo Jamo speakers in the C series (I am not home so I do not know the correct type)
Center (#3): a 20yo Jamo (was top of the center line at the time)

Now I want to pour some money into upgrading and I would like some advice:
First: I REALLY (went to a extensive listen test) want to replace the front speakers with Klipsch RP-600M speakers
The AMP I would replace with a Denon AVC-X3700H

The center is still a question mark.

I have found that a 3.1.2 setup is a thing (the screenshot you see is from a Dolby pdf explaining that) But I can not figure out if the Denon can be setup to drive that. And if it can will it create virtual surround speakers?

In the attached picture you see a blue rectangle that is a wall and the purple arrow indicates that people walk past there. so putting a surround on a pedestal or one to the blue wall is out of the question :(

I also can buy up firing Dolby Atmos speakers put place on top of my front speakers? But what to do with my current rears?
Leave them classic surround in combo with up firing Dolby Atmos speakers?
Or assign them as Height Back in combo with up firing Dolby Atmos speakers
Or just them as Height (3.1.2 setup)?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

EDIT: replacing the ceiling speakers with others is also on the table, maybe the current ones are not projecting the audio to the listener enough

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Check the manual for the 3700 and see if 3.x.2 is an option. If it is that might be better than that you have now 5.x. You could try different in ceiling speakers that are more directional to the listening position or have aimable tweeters.

Up firing Atmos speakers are poor in ideal conditions and wouldn't be noticeable at all with in ceiling surrounds.

Why no sub?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could not find any info about a 3.x.2 in the manual of the 3700... Although they sell a Jamo 3.1.2 kit bundled with the AVR-X3400H, and in that manual there also no mention of 3.1.2...

I am looking for new ceiling speakers though... Would two Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR give a good result?

Regarding the no sub: I always felt that the speakers produced enough bass, but I am always open for good advice though...

So up-firing speakers are not working well? Bummer, the solution is very convenient...

Thank you for the answer!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Those look beefy.
Is there a reason you can't do in-wall surrounds? That blue wall looks like a perfect position for one.
There is an entire CHANNEL dedicated to Low Frequency Effects (LFE) that only plays through a sub. Yes, it is probably matrixed to the rest of your channels, but speakers these days are simply not designed to play 20Hz sound at 105dB. There is simply no substitute for them.
BK Electronics still ships to the EU: B.K. Electronics Homepage A pair of 12" subs from them will really open your eyes.

Reactions: JeroenVandezande

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that wall is a drywall, so I could do in-wall surround there... problem is getting cables there (I could disconnect the ceiling speaker on that side and lengthen that cable to run inside the blue wall) Or I could try to pull two new cables attached to the old one through. Could be risky if they get stuck I could end up with no cable at all...
Another problem is that on the other side it is a normal corner. There is room to place a normal speaker on a pedestal but would that not give a weird mismatched effect? Or do you know of speakers that both exists as in-wall and regular?

If I could put regular surround speakers (inside the wall and a regular on the other side) do you guys think the current ceiling speakers would be OK as Atmos speakers?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yeah, that wall is a drywall, so I could do in-wall surround there... problem is getting cables there (I could disconnect the ceiling speaker on that side and lengthen that cable to run inside the blue wall) Or I could try to pull two new cables attached to the old one through. Could be risky if they get stuck I could end up with no cable at all...
Another problem is that on the other side it is a normal corner. There is room to place a normal speaker on a pedestal but would that not give a weird mismatched effect? Or do you know of speakers that both exists as in-wall and regular?

If I could put regular surround speakers (inside the wall and a regular on the other side) do you guys think the current ceiling speakers would be OK as Atmos speakers?
You'd want classic surround speakers way more than Atmos speakers. A lot more goes to surrounds + Atmos only gets...well Atmos objects. Most sound mixes are still a traditional 5.1, unless all you watch is action blockbusters and such.

Your drawing shows a space behind the couch. Can't you place a couple of surrounds on stands there or the issue is wiring across the room?

Another good option for European subs is XTZ.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I can not place any speakers on the right side of the couch; people walk there all the time to enter the house.
I can place a speaker on a pedestal (A) on the left side of the couch. I think I can manage an in-wall speaker in the dry wall on the right side (B)
I just do not know how much an issue it is that they are different speakers...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I can not place any speakers on the right side of the couch; people walk there all the time to enter the house.
I can place a speaker on a pedestal (A) on the left side of the couch. I think I can manage an in-wall speaker in the dry wall on the right side (B)
I just do not know how much an issue it is that they are different speakers...
I meant behind the couch, not on the sides, but I think that would be an issue too.
Can you do inwall on A too or just B? Better to have the same speaker for both sides.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You can hive identical speaker drivers and crossovers, but the sound from a normal box speaker and an in-wall are usually completely different. The box speaker has been designed with a box volume ideal to the drivers and tuning frequency. The in-wall speaker generally udes the ENTIRE wall cavity as the "box". It is neither air-tight nor optimized for the speaker drivers. They will sound SIMILAR, but that's as close as they will come. Of course, you can simply throw money (lots) at the issue for MUCH higher-end speakers, and you will get closer, but you WILL NOT get an exact match.

Reactions: JeroenVandezande
1 - 10 of 10 Posts