AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo

I have Onkyo TX-RS307 home cinema connected to LG 47LG5000 LCD TV via optical cable. I have normal cabel tv connected via euro and I want to have sound through my 5.1 speakers. My TV has only audio out via optic cable.

I just bought the system second hand and I have problem with config..I managed to connect all the cables correctly(according to manuals) but only the sub woofer plays when the tv is on and only front speakers and the sub when the tuner fm is on.

Sorry if there was a thread like this but i could not find it.

Please help coz' I am starting to get upset like Bruce Banner and I am afraid I will break smth.

:]

·
Registered
23,256 Posts
Do you have the manuals for the receiver and sub in your native/primary language?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeap, but the problem is that the description is very vague: plug the cable.

also the troubleshooter does not have a helpful info.

if you google "onkyo tx-sr307 manual" you should get the manual as a first link so you can take a look.

i tried to connect sound from DVD via the optic cable but it did not change a thing-still only the sub woofer plays.

when I connect the DVD via cinch cables i get only front two and sub playing (no center and L+R rear)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
So you are getting your TV signal from an antenna, no cable or satellite, correct?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Why do you have an optical cable hooked up to your TV?

You should have your digital decoder and DVD hooked up to your receiver providing both audio and video there.

The audio should come out from that to your speakers and subwoofer.

The video should come from the receiver to the TV (with either HDMI or probably component cables).

Nothing should be coming FROM the TV, only video TO it.

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
Hi bigintone, couple of things to check. Make sure your front speakers are connected to "Front Speakers A" and not "Front Speakers B" terminals. Also check "Speakers" are set to "A" and not "A & B" or "B".

Another thing to note is this receiver is "HDMI Pass Through" only, it does not process audio via HDMI cable. It require an RCA analog or digital optical or coaxial cable for audio to play out of connected speakers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that the problem is with settings in the Audio receiver because it does not matter what do I have connected. If i connect DVD via HDMI to the TV and via Optic Cable to the AVR it still plays only through the sub woofer.

I played with all possible combinations with A B and it does not change a thing.

I will try to connect all the speaker cable maybe there is the problem.

It has to be something it the settings of the AVR it self

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Make sure your front speakers are connected to "Front Speakers A" and not "Front Speakers B" terminals. Also check "Speakers" are set to "A" and not "A & B" or "B".."

ok but what does it change for the surround speaker witch still dont play even when tuner is on. I checked every possible setting and center + rear are not playing....

·
Registered
23,256 Posts
Are the center and surround channels set to "ON" in the receiver?

Check the relative volume levels in the receiver for center and surround channels.

Have you run the Audyssey setup?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigintone /forum/post/20786723

I think that the problem is with settings in the Audio receiver because it does not matter what do I have connected. If i connect DVD via HDMI to the TV and via Optic Cable to the AVR it still plays only through the sub woofer.

DO NOT try to get your audio from DVD and satellite through the TV.

Hook those devices up directly to the receiver for audio.

You can hook them up directly to the TV with HDMI for video only. ALSO hook them up with optical directly to the receiver.

Have you tried hooking up the DVD directly to the receiver with the optical? Do you get all 5.1 audio (ignore the picture part, and see if directly hooking up the audio fixes everything - it could well be the audio out on your TV is not working right). Let your receiver do the audio decoding and playback, let the TV be the video device only.

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
First, do a full reset of the AVR. That will get you to a known setup. Then, try playing the test tones used to set levels on the AVR. That will tell you whether the speakers are wired correctly. Once you've got the basic setup right, connect one device at a time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/20786951

Are the center and surround channels set to "ON" in the receiver?

Check the relative volume levels in the receiver for center and surround channels.

Have you run the Audyssey setup?

I do not have Audyssey.

How do I change the levels in the receiver for each speaker separately?

EDIT:

after the reset the speakers started to play, but like JChin wrote the front speakers have to be connected via the A plugs.

Now I will play whit settings, one at a time and see whats happening.

Thanks for help...You guys are THE BEST

·
Registered
23,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigintone /forum/post/20787985

I do not have Audyssey.

How do I change the levels in the receiver for each speaker separately?

Huh?

I looked at your manual... have you?

Assuming you made a typo in the initial post, is the correct model number "TX-SR307? It lists Audyssey setup.

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...2174db7562804a

·
Registered
23,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/20788200

Hi Ratman, its possible the setup mic was missing since the OP bought the system second hand.

And?

Then state that the mic was missing. Not... "I do not have Audyssey".

I could be wrong, but I'm 99% sure this "problem" is pilot error.

The manual explains how to connect, setup and adjust levels manually.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JChin is right, I do not have the mic for the Audyssey and that was what i meant when I wrote that I do not have the Audyssey.

Thank You Ratman for your input but if you would read the manual you would see that without the mic the manual settings of volume are not accessible.

Like I wrote thanks to JChin advise about the cable connection order and advise from BIslander to completely reset the AVR now it works. To completly connect all the devises through the AVR I need to get few extra cables and that should do it.

Thanks again......

·
Registered
23,256 Posts
Double check... you should be able to manually adjust settings.

If I'm wrong, then purchase an Audyssey mic and then all your issues may be resolved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.