AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get speakers for my livingroom. They must look good (priority no.1).

I would also like it if they sounded good as well. They will be used primarily for TV/Movies, but also for music. 75/25 split.

The TV (55" or 65" max) and speakers will be mounted onto a wood paneled wall, so in-wall options are not possible. Therefore, they need to look good. There will be a small shelve at the bottom to house electronics.

Attached is an example of the wood paneled wall (ours will be much darker and nicer ;) ).

The style of the room will be contemporary, but not minimalist. Speakers can be discrete or stylised, but must be good looking and smaller than the TV height (32" / 82cm) :D

I have a separate home theatre in progress, so I'm not looking to hit reference spl in the living room. 70db at 10ft (3m) should be enough.

Budget is around $1,000 per speaker. Will consider stereo or LCR. Can go higher budget if the speakers look the part and perform.

So, what are the best looking on-wall speakers out there? :cool:

·
Registered
5,192 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Sonus faber Venere Wall in Wood finish.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good suggestions so far

Thanks guys... Some nice suggestions...

@Doe Doe

I like the Cantons, they remind me a bit of the much more expensive Dali on-wall speakers. :D

I like that form. :cool:

@pase22

The Kef 301 would work well since they look like a LCD TV and as a bonus are pretty cost effective and easy to drive with my livingroom receiver. :)

They are worryingly thin though, would they sound ok as just a pair?

@gajCA & @fatuglyguy

i'm not sure the Monitor Audio would fit with our decor, but I think the Sonus Faber Vanere could work in black. ;)

@zieglj01 & @RayGuy

Triad is an option. I'll call to see if they can match the samples.

Totem's website keeps crashing my browser. I'll have to check that when I get to my computer.

Some interesting options so far... as a side question, do these suggested speakers sound good? :D

The major consideration is still looks, but I had to ask ;)

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
The major consideration is still looks, but I had to ask ;)
*shrugs unknowingly*

I never heard on-wall speakers before, beats me. But the super thin types scare me too, hence why I picked the canton vento.... should sound halfway decent I'd think & they normally are much more expensive (be aware the link I provided is a refurb, although assume it comes with some sort of warranty, so probably doesn't matter). Although no idea what you'd use for a center in that case. Unless you could fit a vento full-size center on your shelf.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
You would need a sub with the Kef, no doubt. A sub is never a bad idea with any type of bookshelf speakers, especially for HT.

Reactions: Uppsalaing

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Centre, sub & receiver?

I'm hoping to get away with not needing a centre if I go with the Canton/Sonus faber, etc... but I could probably make the KEF t301 work with a centre.

Not sure I can fit a subwoofer in the room.

I would probably have to buy an integrated amp to drive the 4 ohm speakers (Canton & Triad). The Sonus Faber should work as it is 6 ohms and I prefer it's looks (Yamaha RX-383 manual specs show 6 ohms for the euro model, which I have). The KEF seems good value as it is cheaper and i wouldn't need to upgrade my receiver (it's 8ohms).

Another option is the ATC HTS7, but they're not good looking.

I'll see what the interior designer and family think in terms of looks and then will weight the costs and take into account any electronics.

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted.

Feel free to suggest other speakers in the mean time.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I would probably have to buy an integrated amp to drive the 4 ohm speakers (Canton & Triad). .
I'm not sure if the canton is actually 4 ohms. Canton lists 4-8 ohms for seemingly every single speaker they sell. They even list it on dinky little speakers that pretty much any receiver can handle.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have the Sonus Faber domus on wall gloss black very nice. There are also some Vienna acoustic with a mtm layout if you want something a bit larger.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Thanks guys... Some nice suggestions...

i'm not sure the Monitor Audio would fit with our decor, but I think the Sonus Faber Vanere could work in black. ;)

The Venere Wall are definitely a great choice, and beautiful to look at too. I have a pair of them in black collecting dust in my garage (picked them up with the intention of moving my SF Toys into the 5.1 system and using them as rears). When I got them, I hooked them up as fronts in my room for a few hours and I came away pretty impressed. Nice rich sound, great midbass and a healthy amount of bass considering the cabinet. They are rather large and somewhat heavy, but make up for the larger size by being sexy. They sound much fuller than thin on-wall "panel" speakers. In fact, I thought they sounded better than the Venere 1.5 bookshelf. They still need a sub to sound their best.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Doe Doe

Thanks for the tip. I would double check the specs for the other speakers as well.

@Bplaser

Those are some good looking speakers! But, unfortunately I won't be able to use them as you'll read in my next post.

@fatuglyguy

Get them out of the garage! Speakers need to be played, especially the good ones :cool:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Update: Room colour and other options

Update time...

So the wooden panels are actually going to be light coloured (a light beige) and will be a slightly different shade to the wallpaper. So that gets rid of most options, especially the better looking ones :eek:, but makes the decision easier.

I showed the interior designer the speakers on this thread and a few other options. She didn't like the ones with long vertical lines as they'd interfere with the vertical pattern of the panels. She prefers putting the speakers on the floating shelf below the screen, or mounted in contact with the screen in the case of a soundbar or side-mounted type speaker.

So, current options are:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
  • 3 other good looking, but small bookshelf speakers on the shelf. Options?
How small is small enough? This size?
https://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf-speakers/3020-bookshelf-speaker-pair.html

or something like these:
https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg3-bookshelf-speaker/

or this level of smallness?

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/focalbirdeablka/focal-bird-5.5-2-way-compact-satellite-speaker-black-each-new/1.html

(focal make onwall too, but probably won't match your walls)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts