AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been casually working at the HTPC thing for a little while now, and I've been trying to find a software solution that i'm happy with, but every software suite i find seems to have somthing that i'm not liking. I am currently just using the ATI MMC suite, simply because it has minimal onscreen displays, and i am using Girder for the others. The problems i have with ATI MMC is that for some reason on my computer, the ATI DVD decoder doesn't highlight the menu selections, so i am also just using WinDVD. My overall goal is to have one main interface, that keeps the tuner initialized, and still keeps the DVD software running, so that it can switch sources just like in a conventional setup. I've been finding ways of working around a lot of things with Girder, but I still have to deal with the load time of WinDVD and the REALLY long (like 5 second) initialization of the Tuner when switching to TV.

Now, other than that, I'm looking for an FM tuner program, my TV card (just a generic bt878 card) has FM radio on it, but ATI MMC doesn't control it. The original software suopported it, but i am using generic WDM drivers and they broke the original software.

I am also wanting a good .mp3 player that would provide a very minimal full screen interface that i can use from the TV.

Sorry if i I am kind of rambling, but I've spent quite a bit of time looking for other solutions, and have been unsatisfied with everything i HAVE found.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You will run into problems with multiple applications all fighting for the overlay...

You can get around this with Girder Macro's that close all apps then open the app of choice so that it appears to be always active...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, see, that is what i am currently using, but the 2-5 second load tie just to switch from DVD to TV is a little upsetting. I'm looking for a program that will allow me to keep the Tuner initialized, just not displaying, so that it responds like a REAL Home Theater Setup would.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Have you tried using an outboard tuner like in a VHS deck... Theres not any lag like that and dScaler does not take long on my setup....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Assuming that you can fix the ATI MMC DVD problem with menu highlighting (have you tried the latest official ATI drivers and MMC software releases?), I believe that MMC may offer you a solution for your requirements.

MMC has to ability to keep both the DVD and TV loaded at the same time and let you switch between the two. To get this to work launch either the DVD or TV. Next launch the other application (either TV or DVD) without closing the current one. A dialog should pop up asking if you want to keep the current app open while switching to the new app. Select yes and presto, your problem is solved. Now launching DVD puts the TV in standby mode and vice versa. This should eliminate the long startup delays.

Alternatively, a better solution for your specific needs may be ShowShifter . This app contains the DVD, TV and MP3 functionality that you want all in one app. It also does time-shifting and digital VCR functions as well. Its interface is geared towards using everything from the TV and has remote control capability built right in. Might just be the ticket for your needs.

Cheers

Lester

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.