AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has probably been asked many times, and if so, please forgive but I understand that those annoying logos that you see on every channel (usually in one of the bottom corners) can cause burn-in problems. I have a Plasma set and am very concerned. Should I be? Is this a problem for CRT and projection TV displays as well? Thanks!

-Mike.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DjPiLL
Usually not a problem because of commercials every 10-15 minutes that remove the logo.
You need to explain this. I say if you run a logo with a 15 min. on/ 2min. off duty cycle over an extended period of time, you most assuredly will have burn-in.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ed2day
You need to explain this. I say if you run a logo with a 15 min. on/ 2min. off duty cycle over an extended period of time, you most assuredly will have burn-in.

Judging by what the OP stated... it sounds to me he is just concerned with the very shaded logo that some channels put at the bottom right of the screen.

First off... in order to get burn-in from what you have stated... the OP would need to ONLY watch that channel... for the life of the plasma. Highly unlikely his viewing habits are that static. Also... those logos are very faint. I highly doubt you would get burn-in even if you only watched CBS for your entire life. The commercials alone should clean the image every time they come on. And even if thats not the case... not every program that CBS puts out sticks the logo down there. Probably only the prime-time shows do this.

So to re-iterate what I said above... its highly unlikely you have to worry about burn-in from a channel logo. I am sure others would agree. If you have a stock ticker or something like that... maybe.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Enjoy the hockey game. On a calibrated set that would be a complete non-issue.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maurice2
What about if you watch a hockey game for 2-3 hours?
I've watched lots of Football matches for 3-4 hours, complete with the status bar across the top of the screen. I've had no burn in.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Ive done this... and I plan on catching the Rangers/Bruins game tonite. Again, there are a lot more "camera changes, cut scenes, instant replays, commercials, etc." than you would realize. That score display really isnt on there for long enough to cause burn-in. I have watched hockey games before, and I have no burnin on my plasma.

I will admit though that you are much more prone to burn-in if you use a home theatre PC. I really have to watch myself when using that. I don't even let my fiancee use the HTPC on the plasma anymore because of this. :) She likes using the wireless laptop I have anyways. ;) Also watching 4:3 can cause burn-in too if watched excessively.

·
Registered
127 Posts
New plasma owners a very concerned about burn in. I was and still am concerned but have stopped worrying constantly about it.

If you turn off your cable box or input feed and leave the plasma on, you will probably see "burn in" shadows from the logo or station/cable id boxes at the bottom (my system) of the screen.

The first time I noticed this I freaked out because I thought I had been very cautious in my plasma viewing during the intitial month or so.

Turn off the plasma, wait a few seconds, and turn on the plasma. Those shadows should now be gone as the electric charge in the plasma screen has been reset. Alternatively, use the "burn-in reducer" screen (if your plasma has one) for a couple of minutes. Turn off the plasma, wait, and then turn it on again.

If they are still there, then you may have a small burn-in issue.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frawls1
Turn off the plasma, wait a few seconds, and turn on the plasma.
Isn't it recommended that you wait a few minutes at least before turning the plasma back on? Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Burn is a concern, but my main beef is the damn logos should not be there at all. At times I have seen several large logos on the screen at one time, mostly blocking the picture. I wish the FCC would do something to remove station/network logos and other non-program crap from the screen during the program. Sports inserts are a different matter - they are part of the program, though sometimes even they are annoying. In Britain there is an on-line movement to remove logos - here is the link:
http://logofreetv.org/

Why can't we in the US stand up and fight this also? Does anyone know of a similar compaign in the US? If so let me know and I will be happy to sign up.

Dsmith

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Interesting to read the logofreetv.org/. I agree, the FCC should put some sort of limitations on the networks. The networks could police themselves, but they don't seem willing to do so. There could be a compromise, whereby the networks would be allowed to display their logo for a minute or so at the begining of the program, and when coming back for each commercial. At least we would have some sort of limitation. It's a wonder some Plasma owner has not brought a suit against a Network that has caused a burn-in due to these logos, if in fact it does actually occur.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
It seems in England, the viewers are going after the Broadcasters themselves, who created the silly logo in the first place. Perhaps some burn-in issues have been used in their cause, but the main beef is that these logos distract & interfere w/the programs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maurice2
Isn't it recommended that you wait a few minutes at least before turning the plasma back on? Please correct me if I am wrong.
I have never heard of that practice, not is it stated anywhere in my user's manual that any time delay is necessary or recommended.

·
Registered
794 Posts
As Rogo said, I believe that this is a non-issue for normal TV watching. I don't recall any posts here proving otherwise. Unless, possibly, when you use a "torch" mode and leave it on 24/7 for weeks on the same channel.

Andrzej

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.