AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. It's me again. So I've come to terms with not being able to do front speakers in ceiling. The Mrs. is all for me setting up a decent 5.1 system but really wants it to look as clean and clutter free as possible. Everything I'm reading is saying to put the money into the fronts since the rears are not going to be doing too much work. That being said I've been looking at flat panel speakers and I have some idiot questions. I have no clue what I'm looking at when it comes to frequency range. Is the lower the left number and the higher the right number make for a better range and better sounding speaker? I know the higher the sensitivity the better but I am also seeing quite a variety of wattage recommendations. I'm really trying to sort this whole thing out and get a good understanding so I don't make a bad purchase. I came across Klipsch flat panel speakers and Martin Logan’s. They are both $500 each so I'm guessing that would be the price point I'll be looking at. Can you guys recommend any others that I should check out that might be a good "bang for the buck"? Please be patient with me, folks. I'm pretty knowledgeable in several things but home audio is not one ofthem. I'm trying to shoot for a total of $3000 budget for front flats, in-ceiling rears, a sub and a receiver. Any help would great be appreciated.Thanks

·
Registered
11,819 Posts
Flat panel speakers to consider:

• Totem
  • PSB
  • Paradigm
  • Def Tech
  • Golden Ear

Front three are the priority, the rears can be cheaper or non-existent until you can complete the set. Try to listen to as many as you can, or order them online (but have the return postage budgeted into the overall cost). Ignore the specs and trust your ears.

·
Registered
20,968 Posts
Hey all. It's me again. So I've come to terms with not being able to do front speakers in ceiling. The Mrs. is all for me setting up a decent 5.1 system but really wants it to look as clean and clutter free as possible. Everything I'm reading is saying to put the money into the fronts since the rears are not going to be doing too much work. That being said I've been looking at flat panel speakers and I have some idiot questions. I have no clue what I'm looking at when it comes to frequency range. Is the lower the left number and the higher the right number make for a better range and better sounding speaker? I know the higher the sensitivity the better but I am also seeing quite a variety of wattage recommendations. I'm really trying to sort this whole thing out and get a good understanding so I don't make a bad purchase. I came across Klipsch flat panel speakers and Martin Logan’s. They are both $500 each so I'm guessing that would be the price point I'll be looking at. Can you guys recommend any others that I should check out that might be a good "bang for the buck"? Please be patient with me, folks. I'm pretty knowledgeable in several things but home audio is not one ofthem. I'm trying to shoot for a total of $3000 budget for front flats, in-ceiling rears, a sub and a receiver. Any help would great be appreciated.Thanks

I just installed a Martin Logan SLM XL speaker as a center channel speaker in my theater. Great speaker - I really like the sound.

http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/models/ultra-slim.php

Give us a call at AV Science for more info or a quote.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.