AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Hopefully someone can help me out. I bought Onyko 805 receiver brand new, works perfectly till last weekend. It's in a wood cabinet entertainment center. I moved the cabinet about 4 ft with receiver in it, I only have the front speakers hooked up at this time. I have my sat tv and of course the FM/AM radio working thru it. I also have the sat tv going thru HDMI 1.

For whatever reason, when I moved the cabinet to it's place in the family room the audio stopped working, nada, zulch, not even a squeak??. I didn't unhook anything when I moved it. So going thru all the motion's of why it's not working, I did the factory reset, got the "clear" message on the front display panel, still NO sound, dead silence.

So I called onyko tech support and he told me the unit is Dead. I can send this one back, buy a newer refurbished one from them for around 550 dollars and pay the shipping for mine to go to NJ, that alone would cost 60 dollars.

Any thoughts, ideas, help would be greatly appreciated on bring it back to life??

thanks, Pumper

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
When I move my furniture I often get HDMI cables to come loose. Check those. If that doesn't work, detach everything from the receiver. Hook up just a pair of speakers and one input source that doesn't involve the TV. If you get sound, then start adding the rest of the connections checking each time to be sure it is working. The tech on the phone has no clue about what is wrong with your unit. He gave you a stock answer which may be right or wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey fmw, I did unhook everything, all that is connected are the front speakers. Why wouldn't the FM radio be working?, I'll try as you said and see what happens. Would hooking up the rear speaker output terminals and connect the speakers to it, maybe I can elimate as I go?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
what does the front panel indicate for your speakers (does it show what speakers are assigned?). A picture of the display may help the forum give you an useful answer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good idea, I'm cleaning up the yard before cold weather sets in tonight. I'll take a pic tonight and post it

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thanks for the picture.

Couple of questions. First, the display indicates all speakers are assigned.... is this true?

Next, if you plug in another source other than internal ones, what does the display indicate (picture please).

Lastly, if you plug in headphones, do you hear anything either thru the tuner or other source.... further, does the system show that you have plugged in a headphone?

Not sure if the questions will help but maybe more clues as to what's going on.

ps. of course, its an onkyo so hdmi stuff might be a problem... try plugging in analog type things (ie. rca) if possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi budwich,

I used to have 5.1 hooked up, but i moved and don't have it anymore, just the front speakers ( used to work).

I don't have another source to plug in, i do have a CD player but i gotta find it ( packed from the move)

In the past I've used my iphone to listen to Pandora radio, I would connect thru the Aux 2 in the front of the unit. Would this be the same as a Headphone?

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
you want to plug headphone into the headphone jack... that will tell you that there is indeed an input to listen to. You might have lost the output section (ie. amps) while inputs are still working... or as others (onkyo plus) have suggested, you might have lost everything which then might be a major failure.

No problem with the speaker assignment (ie. left there but unplugged), just wanted to confirm that it was predictable as opposed to "random" which might have been another clue..... although NOTE the display is indicating a 7.1 speaker assignment... ?????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts