AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i sold my tivo and decided to buy a replaytv. i got my 4040 a week or two ago and so far, i love it. the only question that i have is, recently with all the talk of the 4500, i've wondered if maybe i should have waited and purchased the newer model?

from what i've read here the models will pretty much be the same except for pricing structure? i just wanted to throw the question out here to the masses, should i have waited? pros - cons - thoughts?

i know that a lot of this is gonna be based on speculation but i appreciate any information or opinions about the issue.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
ReplayPatrick has pretty much said that, except for pricing, the 4500s will be identical to a post-upgrade 4000. As for pricing, none of us have nearly enough info to speculate reasonably on that. I'll just note that the general trend for computer-based electronics is always for prices to decrease over time, and you can always save money by waiting -- but you give up the benefit of the item while you're waiting. You buy when the price is reasonable for you, and you don't worry about the fact that the prices will drop; anything else leads to needless (and useless) angst and heartburn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
You buy when the price is reasonable for you, and you don't worry about the fact that the prices will drop; anything else leads to needless (and useless) angst and heartburn.
i definitely agree. i'm not trying to factor my decision based on saving a few dollars. i just want to be *reasonably* sure that i wasn't going to be missing out on any new and improved features.

i guess it would compound the pain if the 4500 had added features for less money. you had to bring that to my scenario to my attention didn't you? :D

if it's just the same unit plus modem or whatever, fine. i just wanna make sure that the OS and hardware isn't new and improved etc.

anyone else hear any buzz about the 4500's features??

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oOLiquidNightOo
f it's just the same unit plus modem or whatever, fine. i just wanna make sure that the OS and hardware isn't new and improved etc.

anyone else hear any buzz about the 4500's features??
See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=137586 -- it's a 4000 + subscription-based payment + a new feature; the 4000 will be getting the new software (and thus presumably the new feature).

·
Registered
237 Posts
Of course, this is just my speculation, but I'm thinking the case may not be as 'nice' as the 4040. When I opened my 4040, I was extremely surprised by the case structure.

Maybe they'll change the case to be a bit cheaper.

Not that I'm wanting that, I'm just wondering if the cheaper price will be solely due to the economies of scale. (Stocking retail nationwide involves a considerable production run - much higher than SB's first run of 4K units.)

·
Registered
348 Posts
When I called SonicBlue to ask them questions one of the answers I got was that the 4500 will not be able to talk to my 4040 over my network and that if I wanted another unit to to talk to my 4040 I should buy a 4080. Maybe the sales person just wanted to get rid of some inventory maybe not. The 4040's ability to talk to other 4k units on my network is an important feature, so I will be looking for another 4k unit where ever I can find one.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Yeah, what RandyL said. The engineers may not know what price or spin marketing's gonna put on the thing, but they damn well know what it can do.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
They're wrong. Patrick said just the opposite. Salespeople are rarely knowdledgeable on product information.
That's good I was really dummed out when they told me that.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I believe there's a marketing problem at Sonic Blue. When the 4000s came out I looked at them, because RePlay really did change the way I watch TV. However, I don't like the sound, and the video resolution of my unit is good enough. But not at the price the 4000s were going for.

I read lots and lots of stuff about the 4000s when they were first being introduced. And didn't find a big emphasis on the fact that they have optical digital sound out (which means cable dolby digital is properly reproduced) and component video out. Of course they do it as VGA which has to be converted, but it is essentially component video capable of progressive scan.

Now, if I had had these facts impressed on my brain by marketing I wouldn't have gone and looked for another solution. My Panasonic EM-20 DVD recorder. Component out (interlaced) and digital optical out. I spent about $750 on it. Had I known the new Replays had those video and sound enhancements were there, instead of all the emphasis on networking, I'd have more seriously considered a new replay purchase.

Back to the original question. In researching my EM-20 I learned that Panasonic released a verson in Japan that was essentially a Showstopper plus a DVD recorder. Cool! But it would be at least the end of this year, and probably into next before it got here.

I'm happy with my Panasonic EM-20. It's my primary time shift recorder now. Great sound great video. Would have been nice to have a combined unit. But I'll get by. . .and enjoy it while I have it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.