1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bid on a concert laserdisc on ebay before I realized that the

disc was PAL.

I live in the US.

I wouldn't expect my TV to be able to deal with this signal.

But I'm wondering if my Mitsubishi 55" hi-def ready can

handle it.

My biggest concern is damage to the TV or my laserdisc

player.

The audio is digital - so it would seem logical that I can

listen to the disc with my television turned off - as I do

sometimes with concert laserdiscs. But I don't want

the TV to get harmed if my kid walks up and switches

it on while the disc is being listened to.

Any suggestions ??? My bid is low. I'm willing to eat the

cost if I win the auction. But if there's any threat of

damage to my TV, I'll probably just pay for the disc

and tell the seller to keep it because I don't want to

pay $10 postage to send a disc halfway around the world

if there is any threat that it could hurt my tv or

laserdisc player (LD player is a Sony).

·
Registered
135 Posts
...ahh... you live in the USA, so in all probability your LD player would be a dedicated NTSC unit... ergo, I'm pretty sure a PAL LD would not play at all (image and/or sound) ... remember PAL=25fps vs. NTSC=30fps - that goes for PAL Laserdiscs and PAL or SECAM VHS tapes as well as PAL DVDs - your player would simply be 'blind' to whatever is recorded on a PAL disc...

...I think...

(...my Pioneer LD player plays both NTSC and PAL discs - but I live in Europe and bought the player here in Switzerland...)

. . . :eek: . . .

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
You have to realize PAL (Europe)is on different electric grid altogether different than the USA. A PAL DVD uses 240 volt and 50 cycles a second, unlike our 60 cyles and 110 Volts AC. It has to be the LD player capability to be played through a NTSC format, not the HDTV. Maybe a AVS member could swap you one even, we have a lot of member from accross the pond and farther. I myself have more friends outside of the USA than inside. Some DVD players have internal converters, some use a converter built for multiple voltages. IMO it's the 50 cycles that usually muck things up.

O/T we do not have a color, we don't have many language problems, welcome to a way for countries of the Earth to get along at the same level of humanity. Users of the world unit on an even level. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But is the SPDIF digital audio different for both standards ?

I'm not sure why I can't just leave the television off and

use the thing like a big compact disc. Other than my

player just refuses to spin the disc...

The disc in question is Dire Straits' "Live Alchemy".

I haven't won the auction yet - I've only bid $11 (US).

No one else is bidding. If anyone else wants it - please

hurry up and outbid me.

If I win - I may just pay the $11 and tell the guy to keep

the disc - since he's estimating $10 in shipping costs to

the US. Don't see a reason to pay $10 to have something

sent halfway around the world that I can't play.

Biggest problem with using the disc as "audio only" is

that there is a CD version of the concert that I can

purchase - and the CD has one extra song... so I'd

be spending $21 for something I can purchase for

less (that has more!)

I rented a VHS tape of this concert about 15 years

back. It is a good concert to watch.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Why don't you just retract your bid (assuming it's an eBay auction)?

--Jerome

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a all-systems (ntsc-pal secam)TV and tried a pal laserdisc in a sony and denon ld players.

Nada

It was a store by my house so I took it back

·
Registered
135 Posts
" I have a all-systems (ntsc-pal secam)TV and tried a pal laserdisc in a sony and denon ld players.

Nada
"

...the TV may be all-system, but NOT the LD player(s)... so you're missing a vital link in the chain... see my post above - my PIONEER LD player is a made-for-Europe PAL/NTSC model (CLD-D925)...

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I missed that in your post, I will say for all to read. I am not embarassed this is contructive critisism. I learn from my mistakes not bare my teeth, for this is a coffee house, we don't want steaming hot coffee flying around. :eek:

·
Registered
301 Posts
toptentwist -

the problem is that the audio and video are not encoded separately on laserdisc, so since your player is a NTSC unit, it will not even recognize the PAL disc...

i have a similar problem with an import CD single i bought some time ago (at the time, i didn't have the videeo bug and was not aware fo the different encoding systems, i.e. NTSC vs PAL... i just bought it for the music tracks)... it is a hybrid CD/CD Video (the laserdisc equivalent of VCD) with three audio tracks and a video (in this case, New Order's "True Faith"). my LD player will recognize the audio-only tracks (which are encoded as a standard CD tracks) but won't acknowledge the existence of the video track.

·
Registered
135 Posts
"...it is a hybrid CD/CD Video (the laserdisc equivalent of VCD)..."

...well, no, not really:

- - - CDV came first = analog picture, digital sound [*]

- - - VCD came after = digital picture, digital sound

[*] CDV (up to 20 minutes digital music + max. 5 minutes analog video) was a fool idea cooked up by Philips, that died a quick and well-deserved death less than one year after it was thrown on the (European) market... don't even know if it was ever introduced to the USA...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
...well, no, not really
now you're really just splitting hairs... while there are some differences between the two formats, the CDV was the closest thing to a VCD back then; however, the sound for the video portion was not digital, but was also encoded in the differing width pits that were used for the video.

but regardless of the specifics of each format or when they were introduced, it still won't change the fact that he won't be able to play that LD in his NTSC player...

·
Registered
135 Posts
"...you're really just splitting hairs..." eh what?...

...allow me to split a few more, then...

"...the audio and video are not encoded separately on laserdisc..."

...I still own about 700 titles (movies, operas, plays, documentaries, etc.) on Laserdisc, mostly NTSC ones... let me take one random example of the latter:

* on the MGM/UA Home Video label: their 1993 "DELUXE COLLECTOR'S EDITION" of Martin Scorsese's 1977 New York, New York

** specs (as described on the front of the four-disc box):

- - - "Letter-Box Format"

- - - "Original Uncut Version with Director's Commentary"

- - - "CAV Standard Play Format"

** (as described on the back of the box):

- - - "Letter-Box Format - As seen in theatrical release, this film is presented in a 1.66:1 aspect ratio "Letter-Box" Format. The black bars at the top and bottom of the screen are normal for the "Letter-Box" format." (...why does that sound familiar? ;) ...)

- - - "Digital Sound MULTI AUDIO"

- - - - - "Digital Tracks - Film Soundtrack"

- - - - - "Analog Left - Audio Commentary"

- - - - - "Analog Right - Music"

...that's three separate soundtracks right there... and I haven't even mentioned LDs that feature AC-3 Surround Sound, or a dts soundtrack...

...and you say these are "not encoded separately" ?... I don't think so !...

(signed) Hairsplitting Technical Nincompoop

! ! ! PEACE ! ! !

·
Registered
301 Posts
well, at least you were right on one point... that particular statement was, in fact, poorly-worded, as i did not mean to refer to LD (although this was initially the case... soundtracks on LD were not always digital) so much as to CDV (where the sound for the video portion was not encoded digitally).

and i can say for a fact that this poor fellow will not be able to play his disc, with or without video, as i have tried the same thing myself... (you are not the only one who still has LDs).

but i do thank you for using me to boost your ego by pinpointing the minor errors in my post and thus demonstrating your oh so superior knowledge of the subject...

·
Registered
135 Posts
...ouch!... touchy, aren't we?!?...

...some more nitpicking:

"...and i can say for a fact that this poor fellow will not be able to play his disc..."

...well, I said as much in my first and second posts...

"...soundtracks on LD were not always digital..."

...true, not just for NTSC LDs, but also for PAL LDs... HOWEVER: these early LDs still had TWO (analog) soundtracks, regardless of whether the program recorded on the disc featured Mono or Stereo sound...

...an early 1980s (pre-digital sound) PAL LD in my collection is a German release of Chaplin's Der Grosse Diktator, which allows you to choose (on the remote) between the (shudder!) dubbed-into-German (Mono) soundtrack and the original English (Mono) one... ergo: TWO (separate, selectable) SOUNDTRACKS!...

NOTE: ...for whatever (technical?) reason, once digital sound came to LD, the PAL releases offered DIGITAL sound ONLY - unlike their American counterparts, which were backwards-compatible so that people who couldn't or wouldn't run right out and buy a new, digital-enabled player could still enjoy their older discs as well as the newer ones... in Europe we were not so lucky - I found that if I wanted to continue collecting, I had to purchase a - sinfully expensive - new player... this state of affairs also meant that there are virtually NO PAL LDs that have a commentary, unless the sound is Mono on both channels...

Q.E.D.

. . . :D . . .

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
...an early 1980s (pre-digital sound) PAL LD in my collection is a German release of Chaplin's Der Grosse Diktator, which allows you to choose (on the remote) between the (shudder!) dubbed-into-German (Mono) soundtrack and the original English (Mono) one... ergo: TWO (separate, selectable) SOUNDTRACKS!...
i'm still trying to understand how exactly this counters my intital assertion that the analog audio is coencoded with the video... such a case would not prevent the coencoding of multiple tracks that would be individually-selectable, so your example in this case doesn't quite wash.

Quote:
...ouch!... touchy, aren't we?!?...
it seems that Europeans and Americans have different ideas about what constitutes being rude...

·
Registered
135 Posts
"...it seems that Europeans and Americans have different ideas about what constitutes being rude..."

...OUCH!!!... very, very touchy!... (btw: I happen to be an American living in Europe - probably tainted by staying too long among the rude, perverted European peasants, away from true, honest, polite, thoroughly PC Americans...)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.