AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just picked this sub up in great condition, made a few simple adjustments on the back of it, took out the foam plugs from the ports and listened to a 10 minute "runway chase" segment from Terminator 2 at a fairly good volume. I then decided to read the manual to fine tune my sub, and lo and behold it says not to run the sub with both ports open in EQ1 mode, which I had accidentally set mine too :( I had barely used it for more than 20 minutes in total, and didn't bottom the sub out hard seeing that I just got it.

Can someone tell me it's all going to be okay?

I'm a little bit stressed that I didn't read the manual first. It really wasn't pushed hard for more than 10 minutes if that. I'm now running it with one port closed and EQ2 mode to be safe.

Someone help put my mind at rest, that was an easy mistake!

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I'm afraid you just roached your sub. It will never operate correctly after this horrendous mistake. You also blew the warranty and HSU won't take it back.

Just kidding.;)

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Does the sub sound OK? Running like that could damage the driver, but if it sounds fine then you didn't do any damage. You'd really have to drive it hard to damage the driver even in that configuration.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sub sounds fine, amp is running normal, I wasn't trying to push it to audible distortion as it was the first time turning it on. The volume was probably at the 10 o clock position and I wasn't running the film at reference volume. It wasn't quiet though either, the sub was getting pushed pretty hard during a few explosions, mainly when Arnold drops the flowers and fires the shotgun a few times behind the arcade. I only ran the sub for this ten minute sequence in EQ1 mode.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
Your sub is fine. In the 1 EQ setting, the sub assumes a port is closed which would cause more internal air pressure against the driver, and make it less likely to bottom out. So in 1 EQ, it relaxes the limiter at the lowest octave a bit. If that air pressure isn't actually there, the driver can bottom out in high excursion (ie deep frequency stuff). If the sub bottomed out, you would definitely have heard it, it is an unmistakable sound. Btw, while you don't want to run both ports open with 1 EQ, you can run only 1 port open with 2 EQ mode set. This would be considered an 'over-damped' mode.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
If you didn't get the Hsu/BAS test cd with the sub (was it used?), look into getting the Boston Audio Society test CD, very handy for fine tuning your VTF.

http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/bas_cd.htm

And though you already learned your lesson, I'll say it anyway ... RTFM before playing with expensive toys. A few minutes investment can prevent hours of grief.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I agree with the others and doubt you actually damaged the sub.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I actually run mine with both ports open set at eq1. I've been running this way since January. Never had a problem. Obviously if you don't push it. Shouldn't be a problem. And also, mine is used also.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Deep breath taken. Definitely should have looked at the manual first, but in reality when I got the sub home and my room mate saw it and wanted a quick demo...I'm probably not going to have him wait until I read the manual in full before I switch it on. Call me crazy lol.

One lingering question... I've never heard a subwoofer "pop" before. I have 2 sealed JL-W3V3's in my car a few feet from where I sit. I've heard what they sound like when the volume is a little too loud many times, and I have to back down the volume or subs a notch to get them sounding "clean" again without any distortion. This happens often listening to my Ipod on shuffle when one track has hardly any bass (think Dead Man's Party) and I turn up the subs, and then Tyga's Rack City or a track with heavy bass comes on next and distorts the subs causing them to not sound clean until I back off the volume a notch or two. This doesn't sound anything like a "pop" to me though.

I just hope my definition of "distorts a little" and "Popping" aren't the same. :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts