AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purely by accident. This is the new model that can project a 100" diagonal image from as little as two feet from the screen. Word is that it's really not suitable for 'high end' Home Theater but for business presentations...that's the word anyway...

I went to Ambrosia in Los Angeles (ambrosia.com) today to finally eyeball an NEC HT1000 before I plunk down the plastic before the September rebate period expires.

The HT1000? Oh, it looked very nice. I really was impressed. I can certainly see what all the buzz has been about. Talked and viewed extensively with their extremely helpful staff about the lamp life, Eco-mode, Faroudja DCDi, 3-D Reform and so on. Nice set-up.

Had a big, beautiful Marantz demo going in the big, outer theater showroom, too. Looked great.

Then the main installer, Alberto, casually mentions to me that he has just received the WT600 and shows me the unopened box in his office. "Maybe this will solve some of your mounting and placement issues," (I had already read some things about this unit and even started a short thread on it here a while back), "Why don't you come back in a couple of days, after we set it up, and we can all see how it works."

Sure, why not?

So I go back to eyeballing the HT1000 with a couple of different sources and a few minutes later, Alberto emerges from his office and he says, "Hey, David, come on in and take a look at how it looks so far." Well, he had it sitting on his desk and projecting up on his office wall with only some menu graphics. Looks pretty good.

Then he says, "If you can stay a while, maybe we can see how it looks in one of the theater showrooms."

Yep!

5 minutes later, he's projecting a 108" diagonal 16x9 image on the Firehawk (Greyhawk? Sorry, this is where the tech stuff is gonna skip a few grooves for you...) in the BIG theater showroom that's been demoing the Marantz with the WT600 sitting on the floor being fed with a laptop computer as a DVD player. He couldn't find a decent DVD player handy to hook it up on the floor via the component cables, so he connected a laptop via VGA.

The height of the bottom edge of the image fit perfectly with the height of the bottom edge of the screen that had already been set up for the Marantz demo. Nothing about the screen was raised or adjusted. The image size was determined solely by the distance the unit was set away from the screen. For this 108" screen, I'd say the outer edge of the unit was no more than 2 1/2-3 feet away from the wall/screen. After it was set in place, he turned some knob on the side to focus and...done.

The unit was no more than 10" or 12" high with it's final mirror/lid open and the bottom edge of the screen must have been 2 1/2 feet above the floor, so blocked sight-lines were not an issue. Sitting it on the floor like that, there WAS a visible light/reflection issue, but that would be easily solved with the simplest three-sided DIY barrier or mini cabinet behind it. Fan noise sitting at 10 or 11 feet away was virtually non-existant.

What did my eyes say?

Mind you, I'm no techie in these matters, but I have seen some of the latest, greatest

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yeah, I also saw the Nec WT600 in action. Very interesting concept indeed.

Both advantages, from front projection and rear projection in one product.

Front projection because you can move it and select the screen size.

Rear projection because it takes as little global volume as a RPTV, without its box :)

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear-screen option is absolutely viable, too, but I have visions of solving my non-front projector viewing needs and the placement of the WT600 all in one go.

Why couldn't somebody place a regular 30" wide screen CRT set on or near the floor (in a short cabinet?) with the WT600 sitting on top of it (or on top of the short cabinet) projecting the image on the wall/screen above and behind it? There are several full-featured wide screen CRT's that are 23"-24" high and they certainly can be deep enough (26" or less) to make for a proper 'stand' for this model.

Of course, the off-set incurred in the placement would have to be taken into consideration, but a 92"-100" diagonal image that starts at, say, 42" up from floor level, if that's possible, may be fine.

Might have to get creative on the aesthetics of this kind of set-up and the placement of the center speaker, but the functionality of it is a starting point.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
My concern about this projector is that the short throw distance could cause hotspotting even for a screen with relatively low gain. So I find it intriguing that it looked so nice on a Firehawk, which Stewart themselves says requires a throw distance of 1.6x or greater. I wonder how they pull that off?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Michael Grant,

Mind you, I could be wrong about which screen it was being shown on. It was a Stewart and it was very gray, if that helps. As I recall now, this screen may have been electronically lowered into position in front of the screen used for the Marantz demo when I stepped out of the room (and before the WT600 was brought into that showroom).

If it was, the position of the screen was still in exactly the same place as the previous one. Now, I didn't see any hot spots but that doesn't mean that a better trained eye wouldn't. The two fellows who were hooking it up and aligning it didn't mention anything about that either, but that may have been because I was a potential customer.

However, I kept to the side-lines mostly, just observing and I didn't get the feeling that their comments to each other (all positive) were couched on my behalf. They weren't all 'positive salesman patter' in the earlier demo. Great place to get a demo and, if there's any reasonable wiggle-room on the 'asking' prices, I'm sure a great place to purchase.

I'd still want to see this unit under more circumstances and conditions, but what I saw looked really good.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Grant
My concern about this projector is that the short throw distance could cause hotspotting even for a screen with relatively low gain. So I find it intriguing that it looked so nice on a Firehawk, which Stewart themselves says requires a throw distance of 1.6x or greater. I wonder how they pull that off?
Maybe the hotspot is if you view from the ceiling. I could see the gain being fairly small with the angles of this thing to the Firehawk, but with reasonable uniformity. Just depends on how flat the gain curve gets outside the normal viewing cone, assuming all of the reflections to the viewer are out there.

--Darin

·
Premium Member
25,377 Posts
hitchfan,

Thanks for the most interesting report. I'm going to do a RP setup, and something like this would be a godsend.

Still, as you point out, it should serve well for a lot of FP situations. Hopefully NEC is listening and will make a HT-specific version; better yet, a HD2+ version as well.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MRJAZZZ,

$6995

I think this link has the most detailed info so far including expected MRSP.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_535.htm

Even the NEC website only has it listed with 'preliminary specs'. The addition of HDCP compliance and Faroudja DCDi would make this a much easier choice for me, at this moment, but the ease of use and set up plus the HT1000 level PQ (to my eyes anyway) trumps a lot of other factors.

ANSI lumens in eco-mode at 1100, higher than the HT1000 at normal...and a much longer lamp life expectancy...!

:D

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Anamorphic lens components will cause haze, or lack of scene to scene (within a given scene) ANSI CR. On/off CR will remain unchanged. The quality of the lenses,and the differing 'faces' of the anamorphic glass that are used may also play in this situation. if it is indeed prisimatic in nature. Curved glass mirrors is the way to go to maximize CR.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Mind you, I could be wrong about which screen it was being shown on. It was a Stewart and it was very gray, if that helps."

Iwas told that this was a Firehawk screen when I demo'd the HT1000 in the large viewing room and it was motorized . Great people at Ambrosia . I will have to check out this new NEC WT600, as I too, am on the projector fence .

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
Curved glass mirrors is the way to go to maximize CR.
That's the way the WT600 is done. If I remember well, one flat and one curved mirror.

Also, I think there is no focus adjustment.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have remained hopeful for this PJ since I heard of it.

If it is convenient to use asa ceiling mount, and the price drops to my level (I am a sub 5K guy at heart) I have a spot for it in my living room. It would displace an RPTV and let me put the furniture where I really want it.

Best Regards,

Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.