AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey,

My apologies for this if it seems stupid as a newbie, but I searched the forum and although there are bunch of posts, I dont have the time to research as much as I would like becuase my contractor is starting next week instead of May like originally planned.

I have an open basement plan with a solid wall behind the tv (in red), and  on the right of the couch (green).  The purple dots are where I am putting speakers.

Constraints:..Receiver is Onkyo TX-NR828.  The fronts are going to be Martin Logan ESL's as this is both for movies and music. The rest of the speakers are in-wall in-ceiling speakers (senate appropriation mandate).  Floor plan is fixed (bar and pool table not pictured).  Walls and ceiling are (drywall, insulated, vapor barrier, etc).

Questions. 1) I may be able to swing an extra set of fronts and have dedicated fronts for music and dedicated for surround.  Is this necessary?  Have about a $2700 budget for speakers (not including the Martin Logans).

2)  Matching speakers? or is this a personal listening preference.  I had read that the sound engineers use the same speakers (or model line) for fronts. rears, etc when editing the picture (not sure if this is true).

3)  The whole discussion about dipolar, bipolar, mono, etc speakers for surrounds.  Does this matter to me based on budget and layout of basement with the open wall on the couches left and behind?

I heard the Bowers and Wilkins DC3 and some Klipsch in walls, I would certainly take recommendations on what I should test drive.

Finally,  any recommendations on items as the basement construction as it is still unfinished (small things that you would have done to the construction prior to the build).  Not going with risers, or acoustical panels, etc.  Couch and chairs will site on hardwood.

BTW...I worked for Carrier for 5 years doing HVAC controls, and the following is pretty good if interested in cooling an equipment space..http://middleatlantic.com/pdf/ThermalManagement.pdf

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Your front three speakers should definitely timbre match for a good front soundstage for HT. The EM-C2 seems to be the matching center channel (not sure). Why not get it? Otherwise, many of us find that sometimes a mismatched center channel is worse than no center channel at all.

As for the surrounds, it's less critical that they timbre match. However, ML has the FX2. Why not them?

What kind of sub are you buying? The best price/performance deals come from Internet direct sub makers SVS Sound, Power Sound Audio, Rythmik, HSU Research, and Outlaw Audio. Typically they are better values than subs twice the price MSRP from traditional speaker companies. So if you are buying locally, you are probably over paying. You also need to make certain you get enough subwoofer to fill the entire space--bigger room means more sub output necessary. Read and ask questions in the AVS subwoofer forum to learn more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks a bunch.  Was not planning on spending 750+ on a sub as I am not a base guy..  Can you recommend something in the 400 range.  

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEENOWALKER  /t/1521462/open-basement-theater-area-speaker-types-general-questions#post_24509977

Thanks a bunch.  Was not planning on spending 750+ on a sub as I am not a base guy..  Can you recommend something in the 400 range.  

Unless you have heard good bass,you probably don't know if you are a bass guy
Good bass really helps out with movies.

If you want subwoofer recommendations, best place for that is the AVS subwoofer forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts