AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing my basement in the next few months and always thought I would build a dedicated home theater once I did it. However, our basement has turned out to be a little small to do this along with everything else we want (pool table, fireplace, wet bar, etc). Also, my wife and I just don't watch movies often enough to justify a separate home theater room.

So we thought about doing an "open" home theater. The space is about 20 X 20 and I was thinking we could separate this area from the rest of the basement with a mobile curtain. The screen would be on the opposite end of the curtain and facing the rest of the basement.

I was thinking the curtain could be used when we wanted to watch a movie, to reduce the light for other types of viewing, or to simply separate the area from the rest of the basement. Keeping the curtain open would allow the rest of the basement, those at the bar, playing pool, or wherever to watch the big screen.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone ever heard of such a set up or seen one?

2. How much light do you need to block out to enjoy a front projector? For example, could I watch football down there on a Sunday afternoon or would my viewing be restricted to night only?

3. If there is no light in the actual home theater area but there were a few on in the other part of the basement, would the picture quality still be good?

4. Would this set up kill the acoustics? How would you set up the speakers and where?

5. What kind of furniture would you use with such a wide open design? Would you still go with theater style chairs or mix and match couches and lounge chairs facing in different directions?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,138 Posts
You are describing my theater but I skipped the curtain part.

As for speakers my rears are in the ceiling. They have angled baffles and are aimed toward the seating area.

Lights, use down lighting, plenty of zones and dimmers. I can have the lights on on the rear and it doesn't kill the picture. Use black out shades on any remaining windows.

Acoustics , the large space makes it pretty hard to sound-proof so the thunder is going to be heard in the rest of the house.

I have a sense of a somewhat lacking rear sound field because of the lack of a back wall.

When I started my build I thought I was going to get a good sized RP some sectional seating and call it a day. Then I found this forum and I thought, "I wonder if I can incorporate some of the design elements in a large open space". In reflection If I have a chance to do this again I will really try hard to create more of a dedicated space.

Another thread you should see is BuffBakers. it is an excellent example of a theater open to the rest of the basement.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bigmouth. Small world...I am in northern VA myself (Haymarket). What kind of seating set up do you have? Can you watch during the daylight hours?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,138 Posts
I only have one full size window and it has a blackout honey comb shade.

Seating: You can get some views in My Basement link but here is a summary. I put 6 full size berkline 099s in the middle of the floor. 3 on a riser and bar behind the back row. Counter-top comes tomorrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a really cool idea. The only problem I may have is I don't think I will be able to elevate the second row seating like you did. It doesn't seem possible unless I elevate the rest of the basement along with it.

Do you think this set up you got could work without the raised seating?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbo1861 /forum/post/12884579

The only problem I may have is I don't think I will be able to elevate the second row seating like you did. It doesn't seem possible unless I elevate the rest of the basement along with it.

?

Not certain why you think you would have to elevate the rest of the basement. Mine isn't.

A farther back view:

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,138 Posts
11ft, 100 inches diagonal. It's too small, My plans for HT.0 take it to a 10 ft wide and 2:35. Shouldn't be too much effort to change my panels.

When we were deciding the screen size we had a 27 inch CRT as our reference. I was originally going to do a 70 inch Sony and a couch but things got out of hand when I found this forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts