AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clearly the open layout is not optimal. It is understood that there will be sacrifices in sound quality. Currently we are preparing to do about ~1,000 sf home addition. Concept will be home theater (perhaps more accurately described as media room) that opens up to equal sized game room with bar/kitchenette/pool table etc

The sacrifice of an enclosed home theater is being made to achieve an area for the family to be together watching tv/movies/sports while others are mingling in game area. This will be our primary media area and it felt unappealing for our needs to be "closed off".

I live in an area of texas where there are not many home theaters and certainly no builders who specialize. An architect has designed general layout, but I could use some second opinions on the theater side of the layout.

Movie room 18 x 22 with open walkway to game room

Plans:
-130 inch falcon AT screen set 2 feet off back wall
-6.5 foot deep x 13 foot wide 10 inch riser set 10 feet from screen (two 4 seat berkline recliners)
-soffit
-columns for 2 set of surrounds (total inspiration and basic copy cat of Rawlinsway Theater by Big)
-panasonic ae8000

Any suggestions on layout or placement of rear surround (there will be at least 2-3 of walls breaking up rooms on each side. Need to check formal designs but perhaps a small horizontal wall from ceiling breaking up rooms.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
I have to say that what you've designed looks like a dedicated theater, not a family room space...

Multiple rows with riser(s) doesn't equate to everyday / casual viewing / etc. - basically not good for anything except watching the screen. Which is, well, a dedicated theater!

Did you think about simply adding another TV in the game room space with seating for a more casual gathering space?

Your statement about watching "while others are mingling in the game area" concerns me about your design. I went through that path, too, and found that if you want to watch a movie while others (especially kids) aren't, and they're doing something else in the other space - you're going to want to be able to close off those activities from each other.

Jeff

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree with Jeff, personally. I think you will want it closed off with the design you are floating. That said, it's your space, so it you want it open...do it open. :) The one piece of advice is plan for a few really large subwoofers to be able to pressurize that huge space (one of the big advantages of closing it off is not having to subject whoever is playing pool to the LFE of whatever movie is playing. :eek:).

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,146 Posts
As as compromise you can make with the person who must be convinced, how about some big heavy sliding panel doors closing off the end but sliding open for the big party events?

Your layout lends itself exactly for this approach. Think big barn doors on an overhead track.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replies! That was actually what I had originally imagined when I started this. Somehow that idea got lost. My wife would LOVE some rustic looking barn doors, and I would love to separate that space a bit.

Any input on the layout dimensions of theater room? I guess my specific questions:

1. 10 foot to screen (130inch falcon AT) too close?
2. Riser dimensions reasonable?
3. Enough room behind bar if there are doors there?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Consultation?

Also, I remember a while back Big you were available for hourly consultation with contractors via email/phone to help with theater specific building issues. Is this still a possibility?:)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thanks for replies! That was actually what I had originally imagined when I started this. Somehow that idea got lost. My wife would LOVE some rustic looking barn doors, and I would love to separate that space a bit.

Any input on the layout dimensions of theater room? I guess my specific questions:

1. 10 foot to screen (130inch falcon AT) too close?
IMO 10FT from 130" is close i sit 10FT from a 120" and it feel perfect to me when i recline it is 11 1/2 to 12Ft.
I think you could run the risk of feeling a little motion sick with sitting to close and will feel you may not be able to keep track of fast moving action packed scenes.
This is my opinion and i am sure there are people that feel it is a more immersive feel sitting that close to bigger screen. I would just hate to see you get a screen and it be uncomfortable to watch after spending so much time and hard work on your space.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for! I've read tons of builds and have conceptually an idea of what I like, but zero real world experience to determine if things will actually "work". That helps

Attached below are the dimensions drawn up (please excuse the silly HT drawings - my architect was trying to incorporate my ideas into dimensions). Even though I have the bid in hand and loan drawn up, Im sure I could change dimensions of the two rooms a bit if it would improve the theater (keeping overall square footage similar). Does 18 feet seem like a reasonable width for HT? The nice thing is the space does not exist right now. It is currently my yard

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts