AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had a moderate Nat (wired connection WRT54GL)

I've been having party chat problems since getting my X1 and decided to open/forward the recommended ports. I now have an open NAT but my download speed shows 30-40mbps after running multiplayer connection test. (It was 50-54mbps)

If I reset the router and go back to a moderate NAT the speed jumps back up to 50mbps+

If I can't have both, should I choose the open NAT over the higher download speed?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, that was a no-go. Disabling UPnP gave me a strict NAT.

Without making any other changes I enabled it, and went back to moderate with the full 54mbps.

Do you think I'll be able to leave it moderate without any problems once the dedicated chat servers are up?

Do you think switching the firmware to tomato or similar may help?

Maybe upgrade the router itself? (it is about 10yrs old)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Well, that was a no-go. Disabling UPnP gave me a strict NAT.

Without making any other changes I enabled it, and went back to moderate with the full 54mbps.

Do you think I'll be able to leave it moderate without any problems once the dedicated chat servers are up?

Do you think switching the firmware to tomato or similar may help?

Maybe upgrade the router itself? (it is about 10yrs old)

I'd be all for the custom firmware, at the very least, if I were you. It's more customizable, and seems to be much more smooth. I had problems with Tomato. DDWRT is what I put on mine, (It's really easy, if you follow the tutorials) but at that time is when I switched it to secondary duty, as an AP/switch. (The factory firmware was getting buggy, and required constant resets). If you can afford to upgrade, then by all means...go for it. the Asus RT's are pretty pricey, but the hottest ticket out there, I think.

·
Banned
1,163 Posts
JohnnyPraze, Hate to say it but a router upgrade is in order every few years these days. It should be worth it. Too many devices, better standards, ever increasing interference (even when most of your gear is hardwired), routers fail too easily, just too many hassles not to.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I've actually been looking at the Asus routers over the last few weeks.

I've never expected it to last this long anyway. Guess its time to put this work horse out to pasture.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
If your router is 10 years old, you should seriously consider getting a new one. The UPnP implementation back then was not great. It's like remembering how poor plug-and-play was during the Windows XP days versus now.

Plus, you can get some really nice routers. Upgrade everything to gigabit wired and 802.11AC wireless.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I went from the ASUS RT N65 to a Netgear R7000 and have had zero performance hits with download speed running 3 X1's and 4 360's in our house. Wireless is outstanding.

As a note, the reason I upgraded from the ASUS is for some reason my direcTV receiver would not transmit the PPV data... Port issue I am assuming. swapped routers and it all went away.

If you are looking, give

smallnetbuilder.com a look

they are a fantastic resource of router testing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts