AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Excuse me if this a standard question, but I'm having trouble finding responses.

I'm looking to replace a Control4 audio matrix switch with a switch that has an open protocol.  The only device I've found that does this is the ADX-0808 from Audio Authority.  If I understand correctly, I can throw that device on my home network and I can control it by telneting into it and issuing text based commands.  Are there alternatives to this?  Is this a good device? Any others I should be looking at?

I am trying to get the best deal possible but I'd gladly pay more for an open device that I can configure and experiment with than a closed one.

Mike

·
Registered
433 Posts
Any matrix switch with an RS-232 port will allow for third-party control as you require. Many have Ethernet ports also.

Eg:

Extron MAV series

Kramer

Avocation

Zektor

Atlona

Elan S12

And many, many more.

Probably the only brands you don’t want to be looking for are Control4 and Crestron as their products are designed to integrate with their control systems.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Crestron DM switchers are IP controllable, expensive as heck, but are one of the only products out there which are now several generations old and have a multitude of differentiating format solutions.

Just sayin', but not recommending.

It depends really on the type of switching which is desired.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I recently purchased a Zektor Clarity Audio 16x16. They only sell through dealers, so I had Zektor hook me up with one in California who drop shipped the unit to me. The price was actually fairly reasonable - about $1600. This is a 16x16 audio matrix with analog and digital inputs.

It is fully controllable via RS-232 and TCP/IP (as you requested). It has been very stable since I've had it. One nice feature is that it will continually broadcast updates over IP (without having to poll the unit). Link: http://www.zektor.com/products_proaudio_dsp_16x16.html

I think this matrix is a great option for the DIY'er. HOWEVER, Zektor has not been good at all about adding the features they initially announced with this matrix. For example, it is supposed to have support for a doorbell/paging input (it even has the Phoenix connector for it), but Zektor has not yet implemented it in software. They were supposed to have this done over a year ago. In addition, they haven't implemented ANY infrared commands (even though the unit has an IR input). While I'm pleased that the unit is stable, it really doesn't have any features (at least at this point), that lower-end units don't also have (except perhaps for the A-D and D-A encoding/decoding). For the sake of full disclosure, I was informed that these features hadn't been implemented yet when I purchased, but I expected to have them by now

Let me know if you want any more info about it. Overall, I'm pleased with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts