AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tier 0 -- This is the best BD hands down....

Sorry for being so vague.. I have watched several bd movies. (sony bdp-s1) I got the movie from a local store who had it on there shelf. They had several movies that are not supposed to be released yet. Not my problem. Anyway, If you are a serious BD owner then you have to own this movie. As much as I like The Wild this is even better. Overall I could not believe how 3-d this movie looked ... Awesome

·
Registered
417 Posts
what a space waster!

Okay, open season is tier 0.

A couple of questions to microthx assuming you have this:

1) where did you find this so early?

2)could you give us a mini review of specs, pq..etc?

or did you just see the demo playing at bb? Because that is where I saw it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
 http://www.***************.com/htsth...?sequence=1818

5 out of 5 paws.

Quote:
VIDEO:

Sony steps away from MPEG2 for the first time, delivering an AVC/MPEG4 encoded presentation that rivals, if not exceeds the best animation we've seen in high definition to date. I've seen, if not reviewed every animation title released to high definition from both formats, save one. And, despite being extremely impressed with several, even giving The Wild a perfect score, from memory, none have looked this amazing.

This is a virtually flawless video encoding. The CGI video has all the depth of Ice Age 2, but with a far finer resolve and none of the severe posterization that has plagued some animated titles. There was one fade that looked like it was about to break. But I can't see deducting even a half paw for what amounts to two seconds of the film and could be as much hardware related, and if not, in this case it's assuredly not related to a limitation of the bit budget, which from what I checked seemed substantial, potentially even accommodating of MPEG2. The feature is grain free, just as you'd expect from computer generated visuals as well.

Before Blu-ray, I couldn't imagine animation improving that much over DVD. The finite amount of detail seemed too limiting, leaving luma and chroma as the principle areas that could benefit from a high definition video encoding. Boy was I wrong. Some animations are a lot more intricately detailed than you'd ever expect based on DVD. BD has shown meticulousness in animated design I would have never thought justifying of the effort, if even possible in some cases. This disc is another that surpasses expectations in visual design. It's utterly stunning in depth and dimension - as close to 3D as 2D gets. Check out the tiny insects swarming around Boog sleeping in the twilight just after his release into the wild. It seems incredible to me they'd even bother.

Richly saturated with a wonderful sense of color and contrast, there's not one shot in the entire show that isn't capable of dropping your jaw.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Good news. I think the most telling part is the audio

Quote:
But I've all but given up on hoping TrueHD from Warner, Universal, and Weinstein can deliver the same utter sense of transparency and detail as PCM.

To someone that hasn't heard PCM, I know that sounds crazy. How can PCM sound better, if they're both lossless? I don't know, but all indication so far is that it simply does, and not by the narrow margin of improvement you hear going from 640kbps DD+ or DD to TrueHD.

I believe quite a few HD DVD owners have questioned the use of PCM tracks and suggested that it's down to lack of codec support or "filling the disc"

·
Registered
533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils /forum/post/0

how good is Open Season as a movie ? Is it worth owning ?

Its a good movie. Pixar has been tops in the industry, but Open Season closes the gap. I've seen nothing but cute, furry animal movies for the past year or so. I don't know how many more I can take, but Open Season is a MUST BUY.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterhouse /forum/post/0

Its a good movie. Pixar has been tops in the industry, but Open Season closes the gap. I've seen nothing but cute, furry animal movies for the past year or so. I don't know how many more I can take, but Open Season is a MUST BUY.

Agreed. With a 9 & 4 year old at home it's tough for me to escape the family films, but after sitting through such crap as The Wild, Hoodwinked and Over the Hedge, I welcome anything that will come even remotely close to Pixar's great offerings.

·
Registered
19,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils /forum/post/0

how good is Open Season as a movie ? Is it worth owning ?

I disagree. 47% @ Rottentomatoes.com

It's just one more shovelware Ashton Kutcher CG movie for the kiddies. Good enough, but if you don't have kids you probably don't want to stay far away from this.

Come on studios! Give us classic 2D animation!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I actually liked the movie. I took my niece to see it and it was actually pretty good. Martin Lawrence and Ashton Kutcher did a good job with the voice overs.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.