AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most soffits that I have seen here are closed with a solid side-wall on the vertical face. However, I have seen several pictures like the one below where the soffits are opened up. Does this create any acoustical problems?

Thanks as always.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would say the soffit is also closed, but what you see here is a light tray....

To avoid resonance problems you have to make sure to close all openings of areas large enough to produce problems with low frequencies. It is also a good idea to fill large closed areas with insulation to remove the 'air factor'.

Just my 2 Cents.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinema /forum/post/0

I would say the soffit is also closed, but what you see here is a light tray....

To avoid resonance problems you have to make sure to close all openings of areas large enough to produce problems with low frequencies. It is also a good idea to fill large closed areas with insulation to remove the 'air factor'.

Just my 2 Cents.

thanks

I Figured that the could be bass problems in that space, so I guess my question is: how much space is enough to create bass resonance problems?

·
Registered
330 Posts
This light tray will have no impact on the low frequency behavior. I am no expert here, but if we talk about a few inches you can ignore it. Low frequencies (we are talking about the real nasty ones starting at around 150Hz and going down to 20Hz or even deeper) need room to build up.

Just for an example a 30Hz wave needs 450" to expand completely - so it will not even 'fit' in most of our rooms.

But to answer your question - it depends on the frequency. Everything in your room will have its specific resonating frequency, but we can forget most of them since we will not hear (nor feel) their impact. So we focus only on low frequencies since this might produce mechanical vibrations we are going to hear and feel.

Simple fill all hollow areas larger than a few inches with some sound absorbing material and avoid to have openings (holes) in such areas (like a soffit, columns, riser platforms, ...).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.