AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just caught a discusson on rec.audio.pro over on Usenet about something that I've struggled with for several years now, with no real solution in sight. My main music library is bulging with upwards of 11,000 CDs (and many thousand records and 45s), and the concept of having all this material on hard drive is very seductive.

I'm looking for an open-source music server that would use a conventional computer and operating system (Mac OS or Windows) and off-shelf external hard drives, and allow almost limitless expansion. I'd want an easy-to-use, intuitive interface, fast, accurate ripping, and a reasonable cost -- say, no more than $1000-$2000. I'd be happy to live with audio-only capability, though I think from a marketing point of view, it'd probably be a wise move to have the option of adding video as well. Ideally, it could be networked to link up with other systems in other rooms, and have the ability to transmit music via WiFi. And I'd want the ability to use any current music format, including uncompressed WAVs (which I'd prefer), lossless compression, MP3's, or AAC.

It seems to me this kind of thing is doable. I know of pro radio station automation firms that have networked audio systems capable of handling many thousands of songs and albums. At NAB awhile back, I saw a version of the system used by XM Satellite Radio to feed something like 10 terabytes of music to 100 different radio formats. Granted, average users don't need something quite this complex, but I would like something significantly better and much more expandable (and cheaper) than the Escient-type systems that are out there now.

I guess what I'm looking for is something that approaches the expandability of the radio-station systems like DRS 2006 , while having the ease of use of something like iTunes or MusicMatch, yet with the functionality of the Escient Fireball or Audio ReQuest. The key would be to have it work with off-shelf computers and hard drives, and not require any proprietary hardware, which to me, is not really needed except possibly for the actual remote controls or touchscreens. I bet a market for this kind of thing exists right now; it's just a question of sitting down and doing it.

Anybody have some ideas on this?

--Marc W.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
There's a whole section here on AVS for that kind of stuff (Digital Media Servers) so you'd probably get a better answer there.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Have you looked at the Squeezebox - www.slimdevices.com?

It's open source, there are a ton of plug-ins to support various music sources and it has a strong support community made up of coders and users - check out the forums at the above URL.

Mitch

·
Registered
174 Posts
Check out control4. Home theater Controler is $600. Storage is limitless with USB or ethernet.

Or there media controller if you need the ripping functions.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwhooper
Try www.plutohome.com

It's a Linux based open source solution and you can download the software from the website.
Very interesting this PlutoHome thing... However, it's not really a music server (like the original poster asked about)

For audio they recommend on the web site the use of slimdevices...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pluto Home uses a Core to store all the media on (the media server) and separate Media Directors (just another PC) at each location in the house for media playing or you can use inexpensive slim devices as your media player around the house.

Alternatively you could use the core as both a media server and a media director, saving the need for a separate PC media director.

Not sure how much this differs from your original request (apart from being Linux) but it certainly sounds like the solution. You can even have the Core / media directors as dual boot, Windows and Linux.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Take a look at XLobby.com

It's a free home theater PC front end that should do almost everything you were looking for. Tablets can connect wirelessly, for touchscreen control. You can us a USB-UIRT for IR control and for playing your music it simply uses Winamp.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.